New Westie Owner

Raescar

Hi

I've been using the forum for research so after buying a westie I thought I should join the club and introduce myself and the new motor :)

The car is a red SEiW 1.8 Zetec on a Y plate (all new parts). Apart from a few niggles from lack of use the car is in VGC. 6K on the clock and never seen a rainy day. Lots of plans with the car but starting with the basics.

The aim is to get the handling sorted first because it is all over the place and the car is pulling to the right at 70mph. I don't think it has ever been properly set up. It is in the local garage today to sort the tracking and camber, initially to the settings on Westfieldworld (the garage owners are stock car champions so hopefully can help get it set well with a bit of fiddling). Will give that a go and if handling doesn't improve I'll look to changing the yellow Spax shocks out too. After that it is bleeding the M16 brakes and new pads, then roll bar/cage and probably a wide track setup on the front. Interior with buckets at some point would be good as would getting rid of some of the chrome. Tempting though it is, engine tweaks are definitely last on the list.

There are a few other motors in the home fleet so the new car will be mostly for sunny runs to work through the summer months on dry days and for tinkering with. Will get some pix uploaded soon.

Hope that's enough for a first post - a big hi to everyone :)

Out of interest are there any other Westfields in Aberdeenshire?

Cheers

Rae

Rae,

Welcome to the club, sounds like your on the right track to sort out the handling and there's a growing band of Westie owners North of the border.

Any photos - we like photos?

Jon

6k and never seen a rainy day? Has it been in Spain??? :d

Welcome to the madhouse - May the sunny days be plenty.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or advise - sometimes you will get it without even asking (the budget end Spax weren't the best, probably replacement to shockers like Protech would be a good first upgrade!) :t-up:

As Jon said, welcome, and it sounds like you've got a plan!

It's true, in the past particularly, a surprising number of cars never really had the geo set up properly; it's often amazed me what some owners will put up with "cause it's a kit car". The book settings are a great starting point, though it is possible to tweak them slightly as you get a feel for the car, to suit your personal driving style and preferences.

We love photos, if you need any assistance posting them, just shout out, and someone will help.

Have fun with it and try and get a summers worth of use out of it before launching into any big upgrades, it'll give you more of a chance to find out what you really want from the car - it's surprising how often it changes once you start living with one!

We're starting to get a real thriving Westfield community North of the border now, keep an eye on the Boardroom for runs out etc. It's one of the real joys of ownership of this sort of car; going for a blast with your mates!

Welcome aboard you've got good plan and summer is coming honest ;)

Hi Rae,

Welcome onboard…there's a few owner's now….any photos... :)

. It is in the local garage today to sort the tracking and camber, initially to the settings on Westfieldworld (the garage owners are stock car champions so hopefully can help get it set well with a bit of fiddling). 

Welcome as said to the mad house Rae ....yup there are a few westfields in the area and more popping up all the time..........now would that garage be a Renualt dealership ........or used to be ? 

Welcome to Westy ownership! There are quite a few about both in Aberdeen and Scotland in general. I know that aberdeen is one of the driest parts of Scotland ... lucky b######!

You will enjoy this forum. Always something useful and/or amusing to read! Look for the Scottish area events.

Hi Rae,    Have a look at the chassis to see if there is any signs of a prang, the chassis rails are all straight so it's easy to see any bent parts.  You are probably right though, the car was built and no proper set up.  I suffered the old yellow Spaxs for a year when I bought my car, made my eyeballs rattle at any small bump in the road.  New shocks can be specially set up for 7 type cars, available from the companies listed in the Forum sponsors section.  I have Protechs as do a lot of us, ideal for the road and a bit of track.

Cheers for the welcomes :) I've been over the chassis with a fine toothed comb and all square sections are square - no sign of any previous prang. It has the 3.91:1 diff which is not the LSD. The previous owner (my sisters father-in-law) mentioned the car has never seen rain which I can genuinely believe -  the chrome is all immaculate with not a hint of corrosion anywhere on the car. Even the backs of the calipers look like new.

I think it only trundled back and forth to the local pub a few times a year, which tallies with the badly set up suspension and the little niggly things like the excessive clutch travel and the broken wipers (plug was out at the motor). Things you'd quickly fix if you drove it any distance.

Think I've managed to figure out how to post images:

DSC01531

DSC01530

DSC01528

DSC01527

DSC01526

DSC01525

Mixed news from the garage. Camber was all off which is easy enough to fix. Nearside upright is cracked though at the upper caliper bolt thru-hole. And they noticed a small coolant leak. I do have a 4-post lift at home which will make things easier for maintenance but I'm yet to get the car up on it to have a proper look underneath. Will go over all coolant hoses first to check they are tight and in good condition and I'm sure it will be easy to find and fix.

Looks like I need a new suspension upright though and I'm guessing this is a bespoke Westfield component and not a ford or similar donor part? Any options other than buying direct from Westfield?

Hello Rae from someone from the darkside. The force is weak in me as I own a Caterham.

Car looks nice but it needs wearing in. You have some fantastic roads up there so sort the suspension and go enjoy it. We expect a post in the next month or so telling us you're booked in for medical attention - to get the stupid grin off your face!

Rae, There are a number of options for the upright, suggest you put a photo of it on here and someone will tell you what you have fitted.

Nice looking car there Rae ..................now is that Memsie Garage by any chance? 

Thanks for the help, will get some photos today.

Clansman, cose but a tad further south. Overton garage, Ellon. Not too far away - perhaps the start of a north-east Scotland group? ;)

• Like 1

As you say Rae close but no prize LOL , yup that is 5 Westfield's on the road I know of now and one in the process of being built, there are a fair few Caterham's as well.