Carrying spare fuel.

Davep1

Where I live, the distance between fuel stations on a rural blat can be quite a way - and my Zetec on webers is a heavy drinker (typ.100m per tank when driven enthusiastically).

I know the obvious answer is 'Don't do it' - but carrying a spare 10L of fuel in a proper (ideally foam filled) metal can securely strapped down is almost a necessity especially in the highlands.

What do you guys do?

(Written in the context that the std tank is hardly a well engineered fuel cell!)

Dave.

Edited to add - something like this..http://shop.firstbrands.co.uk.217-199-174-247.natalex.biz/product_info.php?products_id=33

I was thinking about this earlier and whether there would be a way of utilising the spare wheel carrier for a jerry can

I have 2 jerry cans in the passenger seat and 2 lashed to the roll bar giving an additional 100 litres of capacity and a total range of Northampton to Truro - I know cos I have tried it…. I did have an issue filling them all up at once mind and it played havoc with the balance of the car 

Glad to see I am not the only one - however I think there is a legal limit (is it 10L?).

However, best not to discuss the fuel we carry in service vans when rallying...!

Dave.

PS I know you can buy donut tanks for LPG - to replace the spare - these are impact & pressure tested.

I've got a normal plastic fuel container sitting on some polystyrene and strapped onto the tank.  Not needed it (yet).

Dave - Ive always got 100 litres of petrol in the tree van every day - :-) 

Just found this from HSE regs - not sure I can believe it??

Regulations 2005 require that petrol should be carried in UN approved containers (called Packages), which are properly stowed on the vehicle. The packages should be marked with the "flammable" diamond and with the UN number for petrol (UN 1203). Up to 333 litres may be carried as a "small load" which means that only general training needs to be given to the driver and that the vehicle only needs to carry 1 2kg fire extinguisher.

Perhaps we are ok then!!

Not sure a 1.2kg extinguisher would be much good though...

Dave.

Tony on here had his fuel tank extended to make a bigger capacity if you wanted to go to the trouble of getting it done

A long range tank would make sense - but I almost think it may be safer carrying a couple of extra metal cans to split up the fuel.

(The sensible but boring suggestion would be to make the car more economical......!)

Dave.

Glad to see I am not the only one - however I think there is a legal limit (is it 10L?).

There is limits on what you can store in your house/garage, but I was told during a phone call on the topic with the local police that I was fine to carry a pair of 20l jerry cans in my car to events.

Currently I carry a standard 5l plastic can with me most of the time I am using the car as the fuel gauge has not worked for the last year, not ideal, but given you already have a 20l tank behind the rear axle which is not foam filled....

Anyway:

From the HSE website:

What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 pdf.gif external.gif and thePetroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 external.gif limit the amount ofpetrol that can be kept in a domestic garageor within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

The Carriage of Dangerous Goods act as it applies to private motorists for leisure use seems to boil down to:

The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals where the goods in

question are packaged for retail sale and are intended for their personal or
domestic use or for their leisure or
sporting activities provided that measures
have been taken to prevent any leakage
of contents in normal conditions of
carriage. When these goods are flammable liquids carried in refillable
receptacles filled by, or for, a private individual, the total quantity shall not
exceed 60 litres per receptacle and 240 litres per transport unit. Dangerous
goods in IBCs, large packagings or tanks
are not considered to be packaged for
retail sale;

A surprisingly generous allowance!

Must admit, in this day and age I'm almost shocked that you can just tootle around with up to 240 litres of petrol in the vehicle. (Mind you, it'd weigh a bit!)

carrying a spare 10L of fuel in a proper (ideally foam filled) metal can securely strapped down is almost a necessity especially in the highlands.

What do you guys do?

Dave.

Find yourself a distillery, plenty about in the highlands. You can run a Westy on Whisky don't ya know!!!!!

If it doesn't work and you are stranded on a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere at least it'll keep you warm!!! :d  :suspect:

I can't see why you can't strap a Jerry can or two onto the spare wheel carrier, you see plenty of offroad enthusiasts doing damn near the same thing.

Just not sure I'd like the idea of cans of flammable liquid acting as a bumper when some muppet is tailgating you.

I was thinking about this earlier and whether there would be a way of utilising the spare wheel carrier for a jerry can

Is there not a company that makes fuel cans that fit inside a spate wheel .. or am I thinking of tool kits??