Good Service

jeff oakley

As some may have read I had a bad weekend recently where everything went wrong. The gearbox in my road car being the worst bit as it was making a noise.

This was a new BGH gearbox bought when I built the car 10 years ago but it had done just 7000 miles. Took it to BGH last week and Colin and Brian found that first gear had moved causing the noise and a small amount of damage on the layshaft They listed all the parts needed to sort it out new lay shaft etc and the labour which meant the total was approaching £800. Without asking they charged a nominal fee only as they said it should have lasted longer but as it was a box designed for racing I expected no warranty allowance as it was 10 years old anyway.

I was bowled over by their honesty, integrity and how quick they turned it around especially as they had had a fire at their workshop just one week previous which they are still sorting out.

Service like theirs is getting a rare thing these days where the normal response is to blame the user for everything. I would not hesitate to recommend then to anyone needing gearbox or diff work.

• Like 3

BGH look after my type 9 as well,  I can't praise them enough either.

I found Brian to be the perfect gentleman and not a bragger like his counterpart at R&R. 

Brian designed and built the 6 speed Caterham box but had to hand over production to Caterham when he couldn't meet demand. At that time he had some very large tin sheds in his garden. I think he has proper commercial premises now.

Not sure who Coilin is but his right hand man was Chris. Brian was a Design & Technology teacher in a local school and Chris was one of his pupils who joined him when he retired to build gearboxes.

I spent a few hours chatting to Brian whilst Chris was fitting my new gear sets. Lovely man. He was in his 70s then so must be getting on for 80 now.

He knows what he's doing, and does it very well. He will go to extremes to keep customers happy. When Chris was rebuilding my diff (new CW&P) the thread on the carrier picked up. Brian noticed and insisted I leave it so he could repair the thread properly and he then paid for carriage back to Sheffield. 

Old school, wonderful person.

• Like 1

Yes he has a real passion and knowledge for.what he does. Dealt with Chris when specing our box and it is fanastic.

Bit of a senior moment, it was Chris don't know where I got Colin from!

You are right about Brian, I spent a good hour there talking about everything, but mainly how poor we hold engineers these days. You are also right he did move to premises a few years ago, but that was when they took over kit car company. They found that to be a good car but sales were not there, so they are now back in Brian's garden sheds. That was where they had a fire which they are still sorting.

He is 83 now but looks and acts 70 and still full of life.

Chris is the one running the business now, he's the one who always answers the phone, advises on tech matters and raises the job orders. Brian is always there in the workshop happily re building the boxes, making tea & lunch.  Lovely fellas to talk to as well.