Microwave suggestions

pistonbroke 2

Hi

Been told that a microwave oven is ideal to cook bacon .

Any tips from you budding Keith Floyd types would be appreciated.

I have all the wine l need to swig while cooking same.

Could we have a Topic on quickie ways to cook for us who are getting fed up

of takeaway and supermarket fast food please.

Would welcome youre favourite recipies.

Ta. 

Bacon from a microwave is edible, that's about it IMHO. And you have to be precise with the cooking time. Not enough and it is still raw. Too much, and it turns to steel! The difference between the two extremes is seconds either way as well :(

Unless you get a microwave with combined grill and/or oven. I have a Sanyo micro/oven/grill combo, and it is an amazing bit of kit :)

Great for bacon too!!! :d

As a chef I would say don't use a microwave ....

Instead start your engine leave for 5 mins then place bacon on top.....

Whats wrong with a grill? Use foil on the pan to save on cleaning!

Perfect bacon in a microwave relies on you opening the door part way through to let steam out.  Indeed getting water away from any meat when cooking is key to crispiness (using a lot of heat).

Lay bacon rashers flat on a high sided plate or the microwave tray, do not overlap.

Do on highest power for 2 mins, open door for 5-10 seconds or so to let steam out but make sure the bacon doesn't cool down.

Do on highest power for another 2 mins.

In my experience you'll end up with crispy sizzling bacon.  Used to be a chef and have to say I've always used a microwave in each professional kitchen (cheating with pre-cooked vegetables).

Why not try Lee Smith's method of cooking bacon........then you can chuck the microwave away. :laugh:

P1000645-Copy.jpg

Best cooking invention for many moons, the Whirlpool Max 38 , a microwave that fries!

With practise you really can fry a breakfast, including eggs, in this microwave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeBFOblE2E

Note that the one in the video isn't the Max 38...is similar -with crisper plate.

For bacon you need a Browning dish, they are made specifically for Microwave ovens, getting the timing right is crucial.

I once microwaved a slug that had crawled into the kitchen in the middle of the night and left trails all over the floor, just to punish it.

For the record, this is not a good idea.  Slugs stink when microwaved.

Use salt or an in-sink waste disposal unit.