Number plates

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Devon and Cornwall police seem quite hot on the subject and I know of one owner who was pulled for having a motorbike sized plate and warned.

Devon and Cornwall police seem quite hot on the subject and I know of one owner who was pulled for having a motorbike sized plate and warned.

I don't recall hearing of any Westfields pulled like this. But there have been a few threads on Blatchat about various owners being stopped. (And a few, but not all of those stopped, did get ticketed)

The general consensus seems to be whenever I've talked about it with traf. Pol. And regular bobbies is that clearly legible slightly undersized plates or stick on's, that again were clearly legible and looked like the owner had "made an effort" to comply would almost always be turned a blind eye to by most. However to a man (and woman), they all said if they had to pull you for being a plank while driving, they'd probably use it.

The no front plate thing seemed more divisive, (though I isn't say I've spoken to more than a dozen or so officers about it, so hardly a far reaching opinion poll!) Some weren't bothered at all, some were really annoyed about it, though even they said they'd have to be really bored or in a bad mood to actually stop you.

And just to finish, we once had a local traffic (or possibly area) car pull up at a meet, cruise the car park, and call out all the front plate less car drivers, before doing a Mr Angry speech to them. The irony is, the lad whose plate actually had been knocked off on the way to the meet and was protesting innocence the most got both barrels. No one was ticketed though, and in the five or six years since, it's not happened again.

So regardless of all of us that haven't been stopped, (and I include myself), proceed at your own risk!

Didn't want to name names, but it was our esteemed Previous AO :-)

I had a small front plate fitted to my Westfield. A traffic cop came in the workshop and asked had I ever been pulled for it. I told him in the years I had had it no. He then said a motor cycle did not need one so did not see a problem with my plate. A few years later I got an £80 fine for the same plate and was told if I did not fit a correct full size plate I could have my cars registration revoked and would have to reapply for it. I am guessing that would mean sticking it through IVA down.gifMy advise put it back on and not one of those sticky plates either thumbs-up.gif

Oops, wasn't digging honest, just don't recall too many complaints! whereas I do remember - though not the names/details, a small but significant number of L7CGB members complaining of being stopped.

I've got a full size plate for the front. It's in the garage somewhere.

I like the idea of a stick on one, and suspect 99% of traffic officers and mot stations would let it slide. I do need to come up with a mounting for a real one though, it's been on the road nearly two years now. I'm thinking brackets on the lower lip of the FW front (I think ZK noses have this lip too). Perhaps fitted into riv nuts to make it easy to remove for track days.

Brother Peter ( Pistonbroke 2 ) got pulled on Runcorn spare road for having a " to small " plate , think the fine was £60 ish , nil points  :t-up:

It's on the front officer - well it was where those 2 bits of plastic held on by bolts are, thank you for pointing it out...

• Like 1