Number plates

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

12 x 3 looks good and never any bother with police or MOT testers even though I take the full size one with me for testing.

Standard letter size with plate cut back to the minimum distance allowable to lettering.

Amazing how much smaller than full size plate that is.

This is what I have done and never had the plate ripped off, it's doesn't draw attention from the authorities and passes the MOT every year.

I use a flexible mount - using 2 small (M4 thread) soft rubber bobbins (thin sort with a stud at each end) at the top of the plate and attached to base of nosecone in normal place.

They allow the plate to easily swing back (or forwards) to allow for kerbs, speed bumps. Perfect!

Dave

The smaller 12x3 attached with velcro at the base of the nose cone. As and when it comes off I can reverse, pick it up and stick back on again. Never had any problems and I'm sure I have been ANPRd.

Exactly how mine is fitted :)

Full size one on mine, but fitted a bit higher up than 'normal' with a couple of rubber well nuts for ease of removal for track days (better air flow into the nose cone!).

westy1.jpg

Must say, I'm tempted to chop the ends off now everyone has mentioned it...!

Stick on one for me never had a problem with mot or police.

I just have a normal oblong plate on the front and square rear. But I might ditch the front entirely and go black & silver at the rear. Just to make driving the car that little bit more dangerous and exciting ;)

Stick-on the nose cone and reduced in size (420 X 95) about 80% of full size.

Arrived at this size to suit proportions of nosecone without wrapping down the sides.

No trouble with MOT or plod thus far.

Cheers

I have a small square stick on. It's not legal but I've never been stopped (in the 10 years it was like it in the UK)

accident224.jpg

Norman are your tyres are on the wrong way round?

Cheers

They may have been as I'd just finished a complete rebuild (including a new chassis) But that was in 2007, so 7 years ago now.

All the wheels are off at the moment so I'll make sure they go back on the right way :)

Norman are your tyres are on the wrong way round?

Cheers

It's because they drive on the wrong side of the road in La France.

Stick on nose cone, looks to me to be 100% size and font. No issues.

If you go to the the government web site there are links to the laws on plates (I don't know how to add a link on the ipad). From Sept 1st 2001, the main provisions for the front plate is black lettering on a white reflective background. The letters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except 1). The character stroke is 14mm and the space between characters 11mm. Space between groups is 33mm and side margins must be 11mm minimum.

There is nothing in the rules about where to fix them but there are rules about the plates themselves that they must contain the British Standard number and the name and postcode of the supplier, which I suspect a stick on plate would not have.

I hope this helps.

Full size stuck on nose as supplied by Westfield factory , no problems in 10 years of ownership  :t-up:

This is something I've looked into greatly. I once had a MoT station fail the car on the stick on plate. Needless to say I don't use them anyhow..
However, my bro- in-law is a traffic Sargent and police instructor, who's looked into it greatly. Anything other than a full size plate, BS lettering and postcode is, by the book illegal according to many he has questioned. Especially now they rely on AMPR cameras so much.
However, the consensus is also because of the nature of our vehicles, most would turn a blind eye aslong as it's legible .
BUT all I have spoken to said they'd use it against you if they needed an excuse, if you were driving like an a*** or having attitude when pulled.

Personally I have a full plate mounted on the nosecone with plastic bolts. But is actually spends most of its life behind the passenger seat and I've even used the "sorry officer, I do adhere to the law, but i just knocked it off on the last speed bump" excuse ... (However, that was after overtaking the unmarked car on a country road. 3rd gear, 7900 rpm ;-) )