Bike rack - clamping ideas for roll cage (no, really!)

AdamR

Nope, not an April Fool's joke :laugh:  I'm going to make a bike rack for my car!

Basically I need a couple of 45mm pipe clamps to affix to the main hoop of my cage, and I've found a few options but just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

These are on the shortlist so far...

Stauff clamps: http://www.icfluid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/pipe_clamp_1.jpg

Exhaust clamps (but not too keen on these as I'm sure they'll ding the powdercoating): http://exhaustpartsuk.com/images/SDC11719.jpg

The ones with the built-in threaded boss: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/214469051/343_stainless_steel_pipe_clamp.jpg

I'd like the whole thing to be pretty quick to fit / remove so anything too complex is out. It only has to carry 7kg so the plan is to have a 'cup' for each wheel, velcro strap these into place and then a horizontal support between the frame and top of the cage. Welder, bits of steel and loads of nuts and bolts are already available!

Cheers,

Adam

Adam

I have thule racks which you can try on your cage if you want, to help see how you want to progress.

Happy to loan if fit.

If so I'm up your way tomorrow pm.

Cheers for that David - should be ok though, thanks. Have a couple of 'regular' bike racks here to take inspiration from if I need :)

Have you looked at bike upside down, strapping/clampng handlebar ends to front/rear of cage then seat Velcroed to other end (or wheel if It's your trail bikes and no seat)

You wouldn't need horizontal support to frame then as kept upright by handlebars.

I have used this method with roof bars when no rack available. Very secure with much heavier bikes than yours.

Don't obscure your rear lights

I can't see a Westfield being much fun with a bike on top around corners !!!!!!

Have you looked at bike upside down, strapping/clampng handlebar ends to front/rear of cage then seat Velcroed to other end (or wheel if It's your trail bikes and no seat)

You wouldn't need horizontal support to frame then as kept upright by handlebars.

I have used this method with roof bars when no rack available. Very secure with much heavier bikes than yours.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. Good shout, thanks!

Don't obscure your rear lights

Also a good shout - it'll be up nice and high though, cheers.

I can't see a Westfield being much fun with a bike on top around corners !!!!!!

Oh it will be :d

Yep

It'll be fun on the bike

& fun getting there and back!

And great photos of bike flying over Westie. :p

Adam, I'd look at Fiamma bike rack spares- they have lots of handy clamps with rubber covered ratchet straps...

Thanks Mike, I shall look at those :)

However... thanks to David's idea I didn't actually need to fabricate anything  :d  As luck would have it, the dimensions of the cage are almost perfect for my bike. The straps on the handlebars fit between the brake levers and grips so they can't slide anywhere, and with the back wheel wedged up against the main roll hoop (and strapped down) it can't shift backwards or forwards either! Successfully tested on the M6 this evening - complete with funny looks :laugh:

bikerack.jpg

Looks like a childs bike :d:p:d;)

Awesome! So if you roll it you can cycle home...

westybike2.jpg

• Like 3

i'd like one of those to avoid the recovery truck of shame :-)

• Like 1

It looks like somewhere behind you there's a paperboy on the road bleeding