Squeaky rear end........ oooerrrr?

cjdad76

Just acquired a 2002 SEIW, which has a squeak emanating from the somewhere on the rear suspension.

As a bit of a layman, I was hoping someone might be able to narrow my search criteria to save me spending hours trying to diagnose the source??  Any ideas??

Thanks, Chris

I assume its whilst you're driving or pressing down on the rear. It's possibly a dry bush (oooerr, again!) Spray WD40 or similar onto the ends of your wishbones where they attach to the chassis ;-)

WD40 isn't a lubricant, so will be short lived. Might cure it for 5 minutes. The only real way to cure squeaky bushes is removal and regreasing.

• Like 1

At least WD40 will help to quickly locate the squeak, then you can lube or fix it permernantly

WD40 isn't a lubricant, so will be short lived. Might cure it for 5 minutes. The only real way to cure squeaky bushes is removal and regreasing.

WD40's main active secret ingredient is, after dry cleaning fluid and LPG, is light mineral oil, which may last more than 5 minutes.  It may not be safe on bushes as ordinary rubber is ruined by repeated exposure to petroleum products

In my experiance it will probably be the rear spring on the shocker seat. Mine did this so took the springs off and coated the platforms with Copaslip and that cured the problem.

If it has rubber bushes, if they are squeaking then they are loose. They are designed to be tight on the metal centre and then the bush deflects as the suspension moves up and down in tension.

If you have nylon bushes then yes they could squeak and would need stripping and lubeing.

Appreciate the replies - I will add these bits onto my 'to-do' list for the weekend.  Hope to make progress then.

I had a similar problem last year. Eventually solved by diagnosing the location (bushe(es) in a rear wishbone) with an electronic noise probe, then loosening the bushes and squirting motorcycle fork oil over them. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/103133-maddening-suspension-squeak/

Good luck,

Bob

My noise was/is the rear anti roll bar which clanks about. Needs a little grease every few months.

Bob  :d

Seems like plenty of people on here have rear end noise issues!!

I've borrowed a couple of ramps off a mate, so will be taking a good luck at the weekend and will report back.

If you put your earplugs in they all go away. Put my half hood on and I can hear the indicator relay ticking so also hear the gearstick buzzing and all the other noises. You get used to most but some obviously need attention as they could be bigger issues.

Bob :)

Mine was making some unpleasant noises from the rear but in a very subtle way.... the slightest movement sounded metallic, so today whilst it was in getting some fresh gear oil I helped myself to a can of Spray on grease...... squirted everything to death..... still squeeked....... the brains with the spanners pointed to the rear spring overs and said it's them...... so they got a dose of the gloop on the top and bottom spring seats....... hey presto no more squeeks !!

Result

Bob :d

My rear end squeaks are caused by baked beans.

• Like 2

My rear end squeaks are caused by baked beans.

There's not a single thing I can find wrong with a little Jet assisted propulsion........ and the Fiber's good for you too.....