No more Squirming!

Yanto

Finally managed to get out for a 5 mile test drive today with new Toyo R1Rs, well after nearly 40 miles of testing later :laugh:, what can I say :yes:

Comparisons between chalk and cheese come to mind, chalk being the old Avon's and the sticky black "Brie" being the Toyo's.

Talk about confidence boosting, no more fishtailing, ability to accelerate out of a bend in 2nd with just a hint of oversteer, and so much more comfortable; less high frequency resonance.

There was one downside though, they throw stones, lots of stones, in fact they have made lovely tracks in the gravel on the drive where the gravel has stuck to them, time for mudguards me thinks.

Ian

• Like 1

Got Toyo R888's on mine. The same rubber compound and construction as R1R's, but a different tread pattern. Every few months the seats have to come out so I can vacuum out all the stones that end up underneath.

Jen

The R1R's do actually have their own compound if I remember the press release right, but yes, it's related to R888's, mud flaps become a fact of life for most sticky tyre owners on the road. Oh, and don't follow a car with them on too closely!

They are very stocky, and yes I have now become accustomed to the clonks from stones on or in the rear arches :d

Great tyre though

I periodically empty out the return lips on the front of the rear wheel arches too, they soon fill with chippings!

with sticky slicks on if stone hit the underside of the rear wings etc you get star cracks in the gel and or chips of gel crack off!!!

Yeah, it can be a problem. On road cars, it's not uncommon to apply a nice thick coat of a rubber type underseal inside the wings, just to help give them some protection.