Just been clamped don't get caught out check your tax

pickmaster Andy Lowe

Just came out of work at the end of our shift and in the works car park my lift shares car was clamped by VOSA for no tax

He says and I believe him that he'd not received a reminder (it ran out end of Dec)

So we were clamped and only a phone number to ring

So £260 to release but as it's 9pm they can't remove till tomorrow :(

Luckily the pub was only a short walk but we were still 40 miles from home with no trains or buses, after a pint or two my mates wife drove the 80 mile round trip to rescue us from the pub :(

So check your tax today they are watching YOU

Don't get caught out and rely on your reminder to arrive :(

I'm surprised they can clamp a car on private land

• Like 1

Shocked us too

It was a private clamping company working on behalf of VOSA as well

Checked it out on citizens advise website and it's all above board

It's worth setting your own reminder

Surely if it was parked on private land they were trespassing to clamp the vehicle?

Bit like them coming into your garage and clamping your car

Should of cut the thing off and say it must have been a cloned car !!

They've had that power for a few years now.  They actually have the authority to remove it as well, including from on your driveway, if you don't pay the tax or SORN it.

He might well have shopped by someone - there's a VOSA website to report untaxed cars, where it asks if the car is parked in one place quite often.

Don't we have to put a small round paper disc on the windscreen which also helpfully has the expiry date of the tax on it?

Don't see how could try blaming not being reminded

Well Scott there's about 7000 people working on site so it's an easy target

You know no one will catch you clamping

You know they have a job so can pay

I think the issue is most people have become accustomed to receiving a bill (reminder) and then paying it

Not receiving a bill just being clamped :(

My mate has moved house twice in a year and it was due Dec 31st over the Christmas rush, but his mails been on redirect

I'm not condoning tax avoidance just making others aware of the repercussions of not keeping up to speed on your own car

Don't we have to put a small round paper disc on the windscreen which also helpfully has the expiry date of the tax on it?

not for much longer :)

this is crap, at least a notice on the car. but then i guess that's what the letter is for..... whilst there is room for complaint against the lack of tax (which IMO should be scrapped and put on fuel) there is a large complaint for the lack of having it taken off even if it took hours to do. what would some one do if they didnt have a ride home or any other way of getting there.

I didn't get the impression from the original post that the guy was trying to blame the VOSA or get out of the fine for not receiving a reminder? He was just stating that he didn't receive his reminder and that why he forgot to renew. Sound perfectly reasonable to me, I'm certainly reliant on renewing when I get the letter through the door rather than checking my windscreen every month

I cant understand how someone can let it lapse 3 months. Sure, a week or two. Doesnt he ever look at the front of his car? :(

It happens!  I once ran the car for 8 months without a MOT unknowingly and unintentionally due to personal pressures making me forget.  I only remembered one night after a few beers - lucky to get away with it for 20,000 miles!

My mate wasn't complaining about being caught just frustrated at other not working 24/7 to take payment and release the clamp

In fairness

He's sold a house

Moved to rented

Bought a house 3 weeks ago

Renovating the house

Got married

Worked 7 days a week

Runs the local rugby club and trains and plays

But probably didn't look at the front of his car last year :)

That's modern life!!!!!!

I have road trip app on my phone and last month it told me I was only 300 miles off my 12k a year insurance limit otherwise I would be only 3rd party cover now!!!!!

I wounded how many others are unaware of all aspects of running a car

Please check today and don't get caught