New Westy Owner - Just in time for the sun!

cjdad76

I've been waiting a while to write this post - always wanted one, but never been in a position to get one...... until now!

Having made one of the toughest choices of my life, I have now sold my motorbike and swapped it for a Westfield.  I've been looking for about 6 months, and finally made a purchase from Andrew @ Toybox cars.

So far, all I've managed is the drive down from Derby back to home in Worcester - 95% motorway!!!  Bit of a baptism of fire, having happily set off, all excited in my new car, no doors on - only to find that trying to sit at 80mph on a busy motorway for 90mins is a) extremely windy, b) extremely noisy, c) pretty cold and c) not that much fun!!

Anyway, having got it home, I had to run it round to my best mates, who happily jumped in the passenger seat for a squirt around some twisty stuff and then I realised what all the fuss was about!!  Sadly, no sooner than picking her up, I was tucking her under a cover for the next 10 days while I travel to China for work - normally I get homesick through missing my kids, this time I have even more reason!!!

Still trying to figure out how to get photo's into this forum, but will work it out at some point.

Anyway, just a hello from me, looking forward to meeting like minded people.......

Chris

ps. Already ordered some wind deflectors from Westfield!!!

Hi Chris

Welcome to the Club. I too sold my bike last year and bought from Andrew @ Toybox. Get yourself a good fleece and a beanie hat and you will be OK. Like you, I don't find motorways that good but driving around country roads is fantastic. Enjoy your new toy.

Welcome to the club.

I have the wind deflectors and think they make a difference and have also purchased some doors, these with a half hood make a huge difference when travelling any distance on the motorway or a trunk road. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the club.

I have the wind deflectors and think they make a difference and have also purchased some doors, these with a half hood make a huge difference when travelling any distance on the motorway or a trunk road. 

Not tried the wind deflectors myself, but do intend to get a set this year - enough owners, whose opinions I trust really rate them. The half hood makes a huge difference to extended dual carriageway/Motorway runs - though you really need to make up a pair of roof supports to match. (An easy job).

The funny thing is with the half hood, because of where it finishes, and the kick-up at the back plus rear "window" it makes virtually no difference to you view out of the car from the sides and the rear. Yet having the top covered (with side screens, at least) massively reduces the turbulence in the cockpit. In particular, it pretty much kills that violent backdraft you get that blows everything forwards and up.

They also do a surprisingly good job if you get caught out in the odd light shower!

Oh, and not forgetting, a very warm welcome Chris! I saw the "sold" bit on Toy Box's FB page the other day  :laugh: 

You've just timed it right for local meets, as more cars will start coming out of hibernation now for club nights and runs out. If you think solo car blats are great fun, just wait till you get a chance to go out in a group... :yes:

Oh how I laughed at the A B C :)

I hate motorways and 30 mins to work once a year is all I can stand

I've given up on them now and giving an aeroscreen a go for a year

I swapped from bike almost 2 years ago now and still loving it

Welcome aboard ;)

Hats off to some of the members and their huge monster road trips in Westfields

Brings back memories of my first drive back from Andrew's house without side screens or wind deflectors on the M42 ! I bought the side screens within a few weeks and they make a massive difference to the amount of buffetting especially on the motorway. Also have wind deflectors now, but only use them in the heat of the summer. Have fun !

Don't know what you guys are moaning about, proper men only use aeroscreens LOL

Welcome to the club, I went from bikes to a westfield (bike engined though) and so far haven't regretted it.

Ian

Glasgow ----> Cheltenham , with Aero Screen :)

Cheltenham to Germany in June :)

Welcome Chris - I'm in Worcester too.  As Tom says above, do come along to the Cotswold meets.  We have a great AO who runs the area well, usually get a decent turnout and, if the weather is OK, there will doubtless be some Westies there at the April meeting (assuming you can't make the March one).

Welcome Chris from an Essex Boy.     I try to avoid motorways on any journey, they are not much fun but guess you have already found that out. If I have to, then I just fit the doors for the motorway bit then take them off and park them behind the seats.

Welcome Chris,

Your car looks good, excellent choice of colour!

You have already discovered the secret of seeking out the twistiest roads to your destination not the fastest road when in a Westfield.

With regards to comfort and to echo others it is much more relaxing with doors on, though the wind deflectors do reduce the buffeting without the doors and the half-hood and doors makes it positively luxurious even in cold and damp conditions!!!!

Martyn