Silverstone Track Day - any good...?

Andy Banks

Looking at Silverstone as an alternative for some of the further away tracks this year. Considering costs of the day, getting there, potential overnighter, it feels cost neutral to do something more local to us even if it is a tad expensive for track time.

So question is, for £380 or so, is Silverstone worth it...?

I think to  tick the box yes but  from a value / enjoyment I would rather do Donnington, Cadwell and Brands

If it's the GP circuit do it Andy :t-up: its fantastic, I've done both the old and new GP's on bikes and in cars, yes its an expensive day but worth every penny IMHO

Silverstone is my local track (45 min away) but Ive only driven it (the full Arena ? layout) once a couple of years ago and I think the day cost about £200 but it was at the end of the season.

IMHO I'd say its worth trying at least once if only to say you've done it but I would much rather drive Oulton, Cadwell or Anglesey even if they are a few hours drive away.

On the negative side £380 seems a lot of money for a trackday when you can do the 3 above for around £160 - 170 ? but in its favour I think if it is Silverstones own day and not organised by a club or TDO then they don't stop for lunch so you get an extra hour for your money

It's the full GP this year. Yes, I guess to tick the box would be worth the hard earned.

Hmmm........

on par with brands hatch gp track, watched a video by Dave (red 2.3l duratec) on the new gp curcuit and it looked fantastic.

enjoy.

Worth every single penny in my opinion. 

Do it and let use all know how you get on.

Mike

It's such a bucket list type day, it's hard to really compare either price wise, or just driving fun wise. I think sometimes you've just got to treat events like that as a special "one off".

Go for it, take lots of video/pictures and post them up!  ;)  :d 

Andy,

Why dont you ask our new trackday guru to approach Silverstone to see if they would do a WSCC day?

As others have said, it's a bit of a 'bucket list' type track - but - it is very enjoyable once you are there! Very wide, fast and sweeping corners, lots of run off, very smooth surface, and the car can really stretch it's legs...

Here's a video, first bit is a damp track and very slippery, then some of my mates have a go (gearbox crunching included :( ) and finally a dry-er lap or so at the end from 18:50 onwards:

You let your mates crunch your gearbox :o .

I want a go round Silverstone as well. Last time I went. I drove my dads Mk1 Cortina round the old track in 1964

I know :-( he didn't tell me he was too short to push the clutch down fully! I got him back by putting him into the wall with me at Oulton, haha.

Ha Ha,  See the video of your Oulton Park excursion as well.   Is it all back together again? 

Yep all up and running now thanks :) Hoping to go out for a blat tonight...