Can someone tell me what this is ?

FRENCHMICK

I have a xcross flow 1660 engine and there is a device just below the distributer on an extension pipe, with what appears to be a small adjusting cap and a brown wire, can someone please tell me what it is, thank you.

I have some photos, but have not worked out how to upload them !

That sounds like an adjustor for advance and retard on the distributor. A few engines used this idea back then. the brown wire 12v. could be the LT lead to the points, seem to remember this when I had older Fords.

• Like 1

The device is not attached to the distributer, it is screwed into the engine about 2" below the distributor. It's on an extension pipe about half an inch diameter, with the device on the end of the pipe, the device is about 1 1/4" diameter with the adjuster and wire on it's end face.

It's been a while since I have had a Cross Flow engine but isn't that where the oil pressure sender take off is?

It could be that there's also been a added some sort of T for a warning light as well as the oil pressure gauge.

Ian

• Like 1

Oil pressure sender unit

• Like 1

Yup sender unit..

• Like 1

Another vote for the sender unit

It's round about 1 1/2" dia if I remember right and about 1 1/2" deep with single wire from center that is connected to your oil pressure gauge

• Like 1