One less XE :(

cszjrh

Well done, you will know your westfield much more intermitly by the time you finish.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Bluming heck that had some force behind it.

If Westfield can't provide new mounts you can probably salvage your existing one by replacing the bent plate. You can make one using basic hand tools then get it welded on

• Like 1

Engine crane is ready for Chris to collect tomorrow :)

• Like 1

I am sure I have a set of original wf ex mounts in the garage in bare metal unused if you get stuck.

I've got a set of (used), POR15 painted Widebody mounts you can have if you need them. Not sure if they're different in size or Not.

I am sure I have a set of original wf ex mounts in the garage in bare metal unused if you get stuck.

Hi Adrian, Westfield Parts can only supply me a set for the wide bodied but are taking photos/measurements for me as we speak to so I can see what the differences are.

If yours are for the narrow, I'll happily take them off your hands if you want to let them go?

Cheers, John

Just back from holiday, so only just picked up on this.

What bad luck.  XEs are fairly bulletproof.  It looks like the big end has surrendered, and tried to escape.  If there's metal in the manifold, the bits that were left massacred the piston.  So top and bottom need replacing,

By the time you see the yellow light, its too late, and XEs have special shell bearings that don't like running dry, but I would have thought it would clatter before it went bang.  What may have happened is that you were burning oil and the level went down.  I've always overfilled by about 3-4 mm.  Not just to allow for losses, but for the greater G forces of decent tyres.  The engine is still at 90 degrees to what its expecting, but my SBD sump has a horizontal baffle, and this makes sure its immersed.  A steel baffled sump on the Pinto didn't work.

The engine mount looks like it might hammer flat

Good luck

Remember too that in its original car it was tipped over by 7 degrees (IIRC).  I always fill to the 'M' of max.  At a trackday a bit more will help.  Mine is vulnerable if the oil is a bit low and I'm using the brakes (too) hard.

I'm using the brakes (too) hard.

Not possible ;) haha. Well, it is, but then you lock up, and the G force decreases :d

Not possible ;) haha. Well, it is, but then you lock up, and the G force decreases :d

...and you go off the road  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 1

Crane has been collected :)

• Like 1

Good luck

My thought exactly, if you have a vice

My engine mount looked just like that after taking it out one of the first times... IIRC I lowered the engine down onto the mount in the workshop with just one bolt and without realising one was longer than the other

I've got a set of (used), POR15 painted Widebody mounts you can have if you need them. Not sure if they're different in size or Not.

Thanks Dave.  I'm going to give straightening mine a go and will take it from there.

Just back from holiday, so only just picked up on this.

What bad luck.  XEs are fairly bulletproof.  It looks like the big end has surrendered, and tried to escape.  If there's metal in the manifold, the bits that were left massacred the piston.  So top and bottom need replacing,

By the time you see the yellow light, its too late, and XEs have special shell bearings that don't like running dry, but I would have thought it would clatter before it went bang.  What may have happened is that you were burning oil and the level went down.  I've always overfilled by about 3-4 mm.  Not just to allow for losses, but for the greater G forces of decent tyres.  The engine is still at 90 degrees to what its expecting, but my SBD sump has a horizontal baffle, and this makes sure its immersed.  A steel baffled sump on the Pinto didn't work.

Good luck

Thanks.  Yeah, I'd filled the oil up to the "M" but suspect I might have been losing some oil - the marshalls said afterwards that they'd seen a puff of smoke a few laps earlier and were going to black flag me so I could check it over however it seemed to clear up so they didn't.

Definitely going to put in a gauge and very obvious warning light in when I get to that point.