One less XE :(

cszjrh

Re: gauges and warning lights - I was thinking of getting one of these gauges to match my existing Koso dash (which doesn't support oil pressure readings from what I can see):

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/oil-pressure-gauge-52mm-blue-display-223-p.asp

(a bit Max Power I know and very pricey but would look nice with the dash...)

It seems all of the gauges with built-in warning lights have them come on at 10.5psi which from what I've read is too low?  (too little too late) Am I better therefore going for an adjustable switch like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racetech-Adjustable-Oil-Pressure-Warning-Light-Switch-14-24-psi-OPS14-24-/331149598526?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d1a0ddf3e and large red LED on the dash?

It's always good on something as critical as the oil system to have  compleat redundancy between the main pressure gauge and back up warning light. So if one should fail, the other is still there, working.

The puffs of oil smoke usually stop when the sump's empty

Yeah that's what I thought when he told me... Oh well.  :rolleyes:   :)

Making good progress.  Old engine all stripped down ready to remove (only worrying moment was removing the 8 bolts I could see on the inlet manifold and trying to remove it...)  A quick call to SBD confirmed the 9th bolt behind the carbs :) 

Took me 4-5 hours with plenty of coffee drinking and playing with each part I removed to understand a bit more about how it all worked.  Very enjoyable and nice to know now that there's nothing under the bonnet that I wouldn't be able to remove and swap like for like myself. 

Got the replacement engine from Lundy and Darve's crane so will pull the engine at the weekend when my mechanic mate can assist me and take it from there.  Will definitely need a custom LHS engine mount to clear the (short) oil filter and not 100% sure the 2gal oil tank will fit between the engine and the radiator but will offer up the new engine and see.

What do you mean by a 2 gallon oil tank?

Did  miss something

The replacement engine is dry sumped.

Sorry missed that. Even so 2 gallon dry sump tank is exceptional!!!!

Isn't it?

It's not you're typical XE dry sump. It's one of those split scavenge/pressure stage type set ups from the race series years ago.  They always could be a bit of a challenge to make work right, so I suspect they ere on the side of caution tank size wise.

Thanks for the explanation Dave

Took me 4-5 hours with plenty of coffee drinking and playing with each part I removed to understand a bit more about how it all worked.  Very enjoyable and nice to know now that there's nothing under the bonnet that I wouldn't be able to remove and swap like for like myself. 

This is so true, well done so far.

It is a great way to get to know your way round your engine dismantling and re-assembling/swapping. As long as you take your time and take good notice of what you are doing as you go, it will be a doddle to put back together, and also to maintain in the future :)

• Like 1

It's not you're typical XE dry sump. It's one of those split scavenge/pressure stage type set ups from the race series years ago. They always could be a bit of a challenge to make work right, so I suspect they ere on the side of caution tank size wise.

Yeah I think Chris was running a gallon of oil on the road, up to 1.5 on the track. Suppose the larger tank also helps cooling too.

Out of interest what sized tank and how much oil do people run with an SBD kit or similar with the XE?

There is less than 4 litres in a Pace / XE / SBD setup, which to be honest I have never been happy with, but equally it has never been a problem, and my car does get used!

Having said that, my engine is currently standard, except for TBs. I would looking at a bigger tank and/or a sizeable oil cooler if tuning...

Round about 4 litres in mine too, as advised by SBD and QED. Running about 250bhp, gets used on track hard and no problems with oil temps. Have my sender in the bottom of the dry sump tank and have never seen higher than 90 degrees. I have a laminova heat exchanger, but it's plumbed into the hot side of the cooling system to help with warm up so it's hardly doing any cooling. The main cooling seems to be done by the tank, I've tracked it with temperature strips and there's about a 20-25 degree temperature drop from top to bottom.