One less XE :(

cszjrh

Well - not the introduction to track days I was hoping for today at Brands... 

After an early lucky escape avoiding a spinning MX5 my XE lunched itself in my 5th 10-15 minute run.  Was getting quicker with each session and not sure where the damage was done but it let go around the apex of Surtees.  Hole punched in the block so was clearly terminal.  :down:

Looking for positives - I'd taken out the recovery option with my track insurance so the car is back in my garage.  I've neither the skills or space to even contemplate an engine replacement myself so will need to start thinking through my options tomorrow.

Sob.  John

John, really sorry to hear this.  You may not believe this, but it will look better soon and it is sortable easier than you will imagine.  I think it's time for the North London boys to rally around you and pitch in.  It will be OK. ;)

Many of us have had terminal engine failure especially when on track but its not that expensive or difficult to replace a standard XE if you have a few mates and some spanners.

Oh gosh, that's not a good introduction to trackdays.  There is quite a few XE engines for sale at any one time.  Not technically difficult to change out you'll find with some help.

As tel says it's not that big a job.

There are always engines coming up on eBay for sensible money just try to see one running before splashing the cash. If your serious about wanting a proper setup there are 2 very sorted xe's on the boardroom at the min.

Sorry to hear of this. You are South London, Croydon / Surrey way I think, but we'd be happy head over the river if you need a hand with anything. Just shout.

sorry to hear that :(

be worth checking out the situation with likely causes of the failure just in case a few tweaks are required to stop it happening again if you are going to do lots of track work

That's tough luck, but it would have been worse if you'd found the MX5!

Keep your spirits up, XE's are good motors and you'll soon find a replacement.

Paul

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll drown my sorrows tonight then start thinking about it tomorrow.

Most annoying thing was that the car was feeling superb... Lovely balance.

Was engine fitted with ARP rod bolts and did it have a modified baffled sump to prevent oil surge.

Bad luck, sleep on it, get a bit more perspective...

As others have said, changing (fairly standard) XE's isn't quite so hard a task as you might think. There'll definitely be plenty who can talk you through it, and fingers crossed, one or two who can help.

Best of luck fixing it.

Sorry to see this. It is, as a friend on here with a reasonably tasty XE said to me, a very good reason to have an engine with just bolt on mods. Just chuck another in. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks again for all the posts guys.  Not looking as grim this morning, but certainly going to have been an expensive day.

Was engine fitted with ARP rod bolts and did it have a modified baffled sump to prevent oil surge.

The car is new to me so I don't know what rod bolts are in it.  I'd suspect standard.  The sump is custom shortened and has a baffle plate in it though clearly a surprisingly warm track with A048Rs on it was too much...

Thanks, looks a good option!   Am getting in touch with him. 

Are there any engine rebuilders/reconditioners you can recommend, ideally not too far from the South East who it might also be worth speaking to?  Given the age of the engines now I'm assuming its just not worth bolting in a scrapyard engine without having it inspected at the very least?