OT Renault Trafic towbar with parking sensors

Darrell O'Neill

I'm planning to fit a towbar to my new van. But do the parking sensors have any bearing on what I can fit and buy?

Also, is it necessary to have the 'dedicated wiring pack?' At £:40-£50 they're expensive for a bit of wire, socket and plug. Is there likely to be any consequence of chopping the plug in the van off and crimping on the wires? ... I'm thinking ECU problems here?

I've fitted a few now and I'm no stranger to snipping the odd wire, so I'm not phased by it, but just never have fitted anything on the newer vehicles

Not sure about the Renault but a lot if vehicles use Sam/bus systems to control all the lights

Some systems if you chop into the wiring when you connect the trailer up will think the wiring is overloading and shut the lights down

Also if you buy the dedicated system you get the trailer warning on the dash

You can get after market kits but see if you need a specific kit for your vehicle

You don't need dedicated electrics but you will need to fit a bypass relay to isolate the trailer electrics from the vehicles fault systems

Forget that I've just checked on my technical data base and Renault Trafic does not require a bypass so you can connect away like before.

Believe it or not I fitted to an 08 plate Honda civic the other month no bypass was needed on that where I thought it would deffo need one.

Big thanks Barry. That's just what I wanted to hear...

to be honest i wouldnt bother messing around , ring your local mobile tow bar guy ,if you cant find one try your local caravan dealer etc they will have a number for one ,i had mine bought and fitted £150 its not worth doing yourself

• Like 2

Likewise, I priced up doing myself but it really wasn't worth it.

Thanks everyone

Online prices for a a witter bar seems to be around the £70-£80 quid. But will price it up