MOT, Emissions, V5

Kezman

Hope I've posted in the right section on this.....

Just looking forward a little to my MOT time which is not due to 3rd week in May....

Just finding myself curious reg the emissions section of the MOT. Done a couple of searches and some results have said "what does your V5 say, under construction"

Well my V5 doesn't say anything in that area. I haven't even got an area under construction really....Date of 1st reg (08/09), reg No, the fact it is a Westfield, Sports, 2000cc, (Plg), Petrol, 2 axle rigid body, Engine/vin numbers, couple of other validations No's, the fact it is red (it is!). All fields nr the bottom reg sound levels and the various different Emission fields are all blank. 

Will be my first take to MOT with the Westy. Went through no probs, reg emissions last time with guy I bought it off. No evident emissions print out with current MOT or history......but I suppose that doesn't really mean anything.

Some will know mine is a 1991 engined XE on an 09 plate. Standard 4-1 Westfield exhaust with Cat I believe. Just curious that's all as to wether it will have to pass emissions or just visible smoke like a Q ? Get the impression Goal posts seem to be changing a fair bit in the last couple of years or so........

Depends on the tester in many ways, and what it says on the DVLA database linked to the MOT system.

1991 engine doesn't need a CAT, My megablade doesn't have any emission data on the V5 either and is on an age related plate. Mine was just tested for visible smoke at the last MOT.

Ah ok interesting. I mean I was curious really, what will be will be and I will ultimately find out when it is time to take it.

As a follow up question,.....I'm assuming a cat to some degree is a restriction so what advantages can be had with an equivalent non-cat exhaust? Hp, drivability etc ?

Yes I would also assume the cat is a restriction though your fuelling would have been adjusted to suit. I would junk it lol

if the fields are blank then I would say its visual smoke test only. my 1992 car with new reg plate  and same engine has the same on the log plate .[and is smoke only test ,but normally they just check it as a matter of course and advise me of the reading]

Mines a 1990 on a H plate

it its tested as a 1990 car ie max 3.5 c/o and 1200ppm

Q reg are visual only

93 on is when cats were introduced (k reg)

I would think it would be tested as a '91 as thats what the engine is - it wouldnt meet 09 criteria

Mines a 1990 on a H plate

it its tested as a 1990 car ie max 3.5 c/o and 1200ppm

Q reg are visual only

93 on is when cats were introduced (k reg)

I would think it would be tested as a '91 as thats what the engine is - it wouldnt meet 09 criteria

;)

But if I read the original post correctly, the car is on an 09 age related plate? In which case it wont be "smoke only"!

It should be as Blue Ass Fly posted Stephen...if the tester follows the information in the manual properly. The car should have an emission test according to whatever is the oldest - car or engine. Or wording to that effect ;)

• Like 1

I'd agree on that one too as per the oldest without going into specific quotes from manual so as per Blue Ass Fly and stu999 mention , just have a quick word with the tester who will test the car beforehand so you know you are going to someone who knows what he is doing as some testers are only familiar with bog standard production cars and can be somewhat flummoxed with something out of the ordinary . 

when my v8 went through it sva in 2009 it had to pass the emissions of the engine 1995. but then was issued with mac cert with note on it emissions  n/a.

if it does not have a co reading on the cert then I was told smoke only pre 1972 test applys.   but mine is a q plate

having said that my 1992  J Reg car  has the same no emission's on the v5, so smoke only .

this might be wrong but was that was what I was told and for the last 22 years its been tested that way

Cheers for replies all.....and just to cap it, I agree with Stu, Blue Ass Fly and others with the age of the engine taking priority ( not that I'd doubt you all of course!) now that I went along to an online version of the mot manual. Of interest it says in notes that it is up to the presenter to prove the age of the engine, which shouldn't be a problem for me as I have a printed vauxhall letter confirming 1991 year of manufacture to engine no, In my history. Obviously in response to a query from the original car builder.

Yes, wise words Aerodynamics. My neighbour has 3 classic cars and uses a certain testing station for them .....and I think I would be well served to do the same.

• Like 1