Build thread section

BLiNK Motorsport

Again, what does "so small" mean?  Can't comment as I don't understand.  :(

When you say the forum is small, does that mean the font size? Because there are a number of ways to make it larger.

No, number of users / active threads. To qualify what I mean the other forum I spend time on is PistonHeads which is now crazy big.

fwiw I like things how they are, I just "view new content" to keep up to date  :t-up:  but then thats just me, a simple man  ;) easily pleased  :yes:

I use view new content day to day too. So actually have to look what section someone was posting to occasionally.

But the thing with the build threads is that they do very quickly get lost in the regular day to day tech postings, slipping down the pages quite fast. Which does mean if you want to look something up and it's on a certain build thread, it can take a while to find it* 

*assuming you don't use the search engine! Or use tags to locate it, or any of the other ways to winkle out information that the Forum allows ;)

As a relative newbie, I'd like to say I like the way it is now. I'm on several motoring blogs and forums and this one is easy to use and non-confusing.

Dan

• Like 1

We try very, very hard to achieve this. We're continually responding to suggestions and feedback to make it better! (Some excellent ideas have come from members - and some not so good ones  ;)  :p , but we always listen and investigate suggestions).

It's true though, some forums I'm a member of are just horrendous for over complicated (the S2000 international forum is possibly the worst I've seen for huge amounts of sections. They then have region specific subsections, one for the UK for instance, that are then sub-decided into some of the same sections again.) 

Excellent idea, gets my vote

My comment above was based on the the idea that it would be a good idea to have the build threads all in one place to make them easier find! For example I didn't know anything about the "heated mirrors upgrade" so I searched blogs for "heated mirrors upgrade" and nothing was found, so I searched for "heated mirrors" still nothing found! It was only when I searched for "mirrors" that I found it among'st all the items it listed.This threw up two problems a) I don't know how to use the search engine properly or it's rubbish! b) I don't know what information is available because of a). Sometimes a good old list is useful!

My comment above was based on the the idea that it would be a good idea to have the build threads all in one place to make them easier find! For example I didn't know anything about the "heated mirrors upgrade" so I searched blogs for "heated mirrors upgrade" and nothing was found, so I searched for "heated mirrors" still nothing found! It was only when I searched for "mirrors" that I found it among'st all the items it listed.This threw up two problems a) I don't know how to use the search engine properly or it's rubbish! b) I don't know what information is available because of a). Sometimes a good old list is useful!

Agreed  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

This goes back to my suggestion earlier for providing a pinned post at the top of tech talk where links to build threads could be added and then easily found.

Mark, it sounds like a sensible halfway house to do that, as long as the person who starts the thread maintains it.  If you fancy doing the donkey work, an admin can pin and lock the thread when you're done.  When a new build thread starts, the link can be added by an admin.

I'm curious as to just how many build threads there are on the boards.

• Like 1

Mark, it sounds like a sensible halfway house to do that, as long as the person who starts the thread maintains it.  If you fancy doing the donkey work, an admin can pin and lock the thread when you're done.  When a new build thread starts, the link can be added by an admin.

Leave it with me for a few day's and I'll start a list :)
  • Like 2

Sounds a good idea; they do something slightly similar on the sprawling S2K forums. (They have to do something, or you'd never find anything). It seems to work well.

Quite happy to do the house keeping on an index page when you're done Mark.

Not sure how many we've got in total; we've got three or four Mega S2000 threads running, we've got at least one SDV thread plus Simons big V8 rebuild... Then there's the race Megabusa thread and the XI thread. Oh and Steve D's sprint car build. It starts to add up, doesn't it!

Thanks Mark, no rush at all, it's a big job and the search engine will get a work out.  I'm guessing there will be getting on for three figures worth of build threads, finished and unfinished, so take your time.  If we can help you, just let us know.

Great sounds like a perfect solution It's a good job we have some expert volunteers in the club. Well done Scott, Dave & Mark.

For new members wondering how well a build goes ahead, here will be the answer.  There will be lots of other mini build guides within the build which will again help a new owner wanting to understand how it all goes together.  A most worthwhile improvement IMO   :yes:  :yes: