Watches

Darrell O'Neill

I'm looking to treat myself to a nice Tag Monaco for my upcoming 40th. Is anyone linked

to, or know of any trusted online or mail order dealers?

I know there's a few on here into their watches and being in deepest darkest cornwall I'm a bit limited on local dealers. I may even go for secondhand if I find the right watch.

I also have an oversized watch to trade in or sell.

Anyone any advice?

Darrell, Michael Spears in Truro sell them and I noticed on Saturday that they had a sale on ;-) which one are you looking at? I love the Monaco Gulf. Hope this helps

Cheers Mart. The last time I was there they only had a very limited stock, but will take a look. The Gulf is nice, but I'm really not sure if I prefer some of the planer ones...learning towards some of the limited edition ones too...

All I can say is you must be charging to much, I wanted a TAG but ended up with a timex, I'm a also a Sparky, I must be doing something wrong lol

• Like 1

Just in case you have never heard of them, for truly great watches at a fraction of the price of 'big brand names', have a look at Christopher Ward watches, the quality is superb and the after sales service second to none - if you email Christopher Ward you will get a reply direct from him usually within 24 hours

I have two myself and bought the previous SWMBO two as presents in the past  

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/

Get in touch with Dom Hackett

http://www.hackettwatches.com

Very respected watch seller very well know in the pistonheads circle we share many friends I've bought from him before I'd recommend him 100%

He also has many contacts in the new watch industry and you won't buy cheaper give him a call tell him I've recommended you and he'll sort you out

• Like 1

There is a guy on  Pistonheads called Dominic who is highly rated to get anything at very good prices. I have had no dealings with him but here is his address. http://www.hackettwatches.com/

I have a Tag Carrera and I love it, the watch "experts" don't rate Tag as much as other brands with more exclusivity. The suggestion of Christopher Ward is a good one as a family owning several. The thing with CW is you get a quality watch with a movement that is high end for reasonable money.

With any brand watch, rolex omega etc you pay for the unit then the cost of the brand. In recent years high end watches have really gone up in price when the raw costs have not.

Many will not understand the appeal but a lot do. I would also recommend that you make a special day of this and go and try as many watches on as you can before making the final decision. Many which look similar but feel completly different on the wrist.

my mates think ime mad when i spend on watches,they really dont get it

but then i cant see why they spend £££££s on a fishing rod and sit out in the rain :)

last one was nearly £1300 - money well spent imho

There is a tag outlet store at Bicester village. Big savings on high st prices

I have a tag and would never buy another one

Thanks for all the comments. I'll get in contact with the guy Barry etc has recommended.

Ian, what makes you say you wouldn't buy another? (I've had a cheaper Tag for over 10yrs with no problem.

I've had a craving now for a Monaco for years, but I must admit there's some nice watches around and the rolex submariner is getting my attention too...

Decisions, decisions...

The CEO bought me a new Submariner for my 50th birthday and I have worn it continuously for over 20 years and it still looks like new, it cost her about £1850.00 with date, ( £5000.00 plus now) and last year the strap was looking a bit insecure and took it back to the supplying shop who were shocked and amazed that I had not had it regularly serviced. I had a new  clasp and a new bezel and a service which includes new pins in the strap at a cost of around £750.00, considering my brother in law just paid about the same for servicing his 10 year old Omega it did not seem unreasonable for another 20 years service. I know there are a lot of fake Rolex's about but who cares when you know yours is not. I worked with a guy who wore a fake TAG Monaco when they first came out, several people asked "is it genuine" he eventually would say no and look a right k**b. My sons have used Watchfinder for some years and they have a serious amount of pre-owed TAG and Rolex watches