Jet ski, anyone up on them?

stewart pickles

Could be looking into getting a jet ski.

I will be looking at the sit down type and have been on and am thinking about the r1 engined yamaha waverunner.

No intrest at all in 2 stroke so only looking at 4's

no probs working on engine side but is there anything to look out for on the pump side?

Also what price range do i need to be looking at to get a good reliable ski,i would rather pay the extra to get the reliable ski than save a few k on a scrap yard dodger as it will be going in the sea most of the time

Been on a couple during holidays but I get bored on them after 5 rmins. 

Scott Beeland is your man Stew :t-up:

• Like 1

Beat me to it Paul! Yeah Scott was very big into his Jet Ski's wasn't he.

It'll have a XE, a Duratec and a blade in it before it sees the water....if it makes it out the garage alive :-D :-D ;-)

Used to own a couple in the late 80's, stand up ones. If used in the sea make sure you run it in fresh water before lay up. The pumps are usually good as long as they haven't had sand/debris through them. Check the condition of the prop in the housing, any damage is a new impeller I would think. 

When I had a ski, I was about as fit as I've ever been, lots of swimming to get to the thing :d then struggle to get on it!

As has been said, they are no real fun unless there are a few of you out playing, one on its own is a bit boring... 

I have had a few and currently got a Yamaha Fx SHO, have got to say the thing is scary quick. It has a 1.8l supercharge running around 240/250hp.

My previous ski was a Yamaha Vx with 1100 r1 engine. Brillant ski, will do everything and is reasonable on the fuel can go and play all day on a tank, unlike my new one. I clocked up 200 hours in 4 years and only had one coil pack fail. Imperallar housing are good on the yamaha's as they are metal unlike some seadoo which are plastic. Just look out for dings and chips out of the actually prop.

Any question just ask.

Kev

I tried a sit on one and was bored after 5 mins back in the 90s

I bought a stand up one and hand loads of fun

They are best in the breaking surf in the winter you can get loads of air ;)

Go for a trigger throttle so you can blip the throttle in the air better

Outlet hot water sprayed on to hands is good to

A spring to surport the steering column (if stand up)

An extra bilge pump to keep the water out

A length of rope incase you need to swim tow it back in

Extra stainless straps along the hull to stop it braking in two after a heavy landing :(

And wear a crash helmet too

Oooooh and let your trailer wheel bearings cool off before backing it into the water

Your going to have some fun ;)

Cheers guys

haggis muncher,the westies had more engines than that lol

that reminds me must have a look in mi garage for the westie need to get that running and back out to play this year too, hows your durabetic coming along?

Kev, like the sound of the 1.8 supercharged beast ill have to look that up

dave,paul i forgot about scott ill give him a bell

cheers for the info guys

Hi ian,im not looking at stand up ski's as i want to carry passangers,but thanks for letting me know.

Hi ian,im not looking at stand up ski's as i want to carry passangers,

Kin hell, not my idea of fun been on the back with you at the controls :p  :p

• Like 1

Thanks Stewart

I had a stx15f sit down for 5 years and it was great fun. Great for passengers, but also towing things. Skis, kneeboard, rings etc

Was always a great day out

Ian

Think we might all have to swap westys for jet skis the was the water situations going, imagine that, jet skiing down your favourite country lane in Cornwall, can you super charge a jet ski? I'm thinking of upgrades already lol

Paul, the mountain at cadwell, a hump back bridge or a ten foot wave are all good fun taken "flat over crest, don't lift" :laugh: :laugh: :t-up::yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: