OBD reader

Rusty Nuts

Try BG244 first before you lay a spanner on it.

Glow plugs caked in carbon - will sort that

EGR valve stuck with gunge - will sort that.

Full fat coca cola does it too

Merc techs use it on vito/sprinters when the seal goes and blows crap up the sides

Hope its not inj seals,although ive not seen them put a light on before

The MIL may well be triggered by a glow plug problem But with this engine the temp has to be well below zero before the ECU will trigger the glow plugs for starting.

It will however trigger them for post glow to help reduce emissions during warm up. I have worked on many of these where glow plugs have been changed and the garage has reported that the plugs are not operating.  Often the glow control relay module will have been changed too. The starting issue has proved to have been something else and the Glow system has tested fine.

I am not aware of this system having a strategy to deliberately pro long starting when it detects a glow plug problem. Another thing to be aware of is some glow plugs will expand at the tip and even if it unscrews from the thread OK the tip can break off during removal because it is wider than the hole you are trying to extract it from.

i soaked mine in plusgas and everything else for days, tried hot and just warm ( recommended on various sites),

one came out, one came part out and then snapped and 2 were cracking loose but re tightening - i suspected threads pulling but may have been the issue described above..............

anyway, it was still starting and i knew they only triggered at low temps ( didnt think it was well below zero) so i left at that untill sold before the next winter.

as above , there are so many reasons these have starting issues inc pump issues.       as for light staying on i seem to recall that it is indeed a signal that heater plug / plugs is faulty.     google will help more than a code i suspect.