OBD reader

Rusty Nuts

Hi I need to buy an OBD reader preferably something that translates the codes into plain language instead of just codes, what are people using and how good are they. Is there any advantage in using the code only readers or are the English language ones sufficient.

Thanks for looking and any advice.

One option if you have a smartphone is to get one of those Bluetooth dongles and run the Torque app on your phone. That gives you all of the information you could ever want, and can be very affordable.  They've also got a pretty good forum with people who are willing to help out.

You can find details here: http://torque-bhp.com

• Like 1

Shinda

Its easy to find out what the codes mean once tbeyve been read,so i wouldnt spend the extra

My car threw a light on - i got it read and then google the code - sorted

Is it a reader for general use or specific to one make

If you have got access to a laptop I'd buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ELM327-V1-5-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/290943024980?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43bd8e3f54

I bought one a couple of years ago, very useful, as well as giving fault codes in English, it also does live data so you can check for intermittent faults.

Thanks all, the Torque one looks good allows playing around might never do this but at a few pounds for the app and the reader under a tenner it represents pretty good value.

Hi, Steve it's the wife's Zafira I think it's the glow plugs will probably do them in the summer.

They seize in the head. Nightmare.

I have scanxl installed on the "wscc" toughbook, seems ok although too us focused.

You might not need a code reader.

Most bored calibration engineers write some sort of code into the ECU these days which can be used to access the diagnostics by pressing a few buttons or pedals in a certain combination. It saves all the agro of a visit to a dealer.

Try the forums - this is a start http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/zafira-b-diagnostics.163180/

They seize in the head. Nightmare.

I have scanxl installed on the "wscc" toughbook, seems ok although too us focused.

Plus gas is your friend here. Give them a soaking the night before and in the morning. Get the engine nice and hot (obviously don't burn yourself though :p). Done mine on the vectra yesterday and they came undone very easily :)

Depending on the year,you can access the code by switching ign on while depressing brake and throttle pedal

A code should display where the mileage is

Then google the code

Is the engine light on or is it not starting well

What year and engine code and/or CC is the Zafira? And as Blue Ass Says, What are the symptoms?

It's a 2004 year 2.0 DTH engine with 61K on the clock its the symbol of a spanner and car which goes out when the car is upto operating temp and starting isn't as good as it was before. Will try the pedal method tonight.

Exactly whats happened with mine

Spanner light,not management light and it was a heater plug with open circuit - car starts much better and seems much smoother - and its not done 30k yet

Might be worth having them out and putting a battery charger on them

Car spares in nechells do them from about £6.00 so it wont break the bank

I would guess on that year it will be a Y20DTH Which is fitted with PSG16. With this system the Main engine control module is mounted on top of the High pressure fuel injection pump. Although it is direct injection it is not common rail. Before removing glow plugs I would suggest you test them in situ. this engine is known for snapping plugs So it would be a last resort to change them. I personally would not expect this system to give starting issues even if several glow plugs were down but I could be wrong. Leak off pipes were a problem on these and especially the earlier X20DTH. Injector seals also were a problem causing air to get into the supply side and also allowing oil to contaminate the fuel. Take a fuel sample and if it looks discoloured it will need injector seals replacing.

As I said unlike the fiat engined Z19DTH/Z19DT I would not expect any real starting problems on this if the glow plugs were down so be sure they are causing a problem before attempting to remove them.