Approximate Cost for Changing Body Colours

cjdad76

Can anybody give me a rough cost for changing the body colour?

I assume the 2 options would be:

1) Full body removal / respray / re-assemble, or

2) Change body.

If you took the body panels off, they're in good condition and had it sprayed in my experience £500ish. Complete body seems around £1500 new.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a colour change on ours a couple of years back. Considered a body swap but decided to give up on a gelcoat finish. Had it sprayed. TBH, that can cost anywhere from £50 to £5000, depending on many variables.  Ours wasn't cheap, comparable to fitting new panels, but we are very happy with the result.

I took the opportunity to make some changes like rear lights, new bonnet and move some bits around which added to the cost and complexity, but the pre-paint strip isn't that much work - lot less than a re-body anyway. Worst bit would probably be getting the scuttle off. While I was at it, I also stripped the alloy panels under the scuttle and had them powder coated black - they were looking a bit tired after 20 odd years.

• Like 1

Worst bit would probably be getting the scuttle off. 

Why???  My scuttle can be removed in 5 minutes.  Unscrew dash, remove battery switch, remove 4 wingnuts and lift it off.

Why???  My scuttle can be removed in 5 minutes.  Unscrew dash, remove battery switch, remove 4 wingnuts and lift it off.

Probably a fair bit of silicone to contend with

My old scuttle was a good hour long battle for two of us!

Speak to Steve D about it. He just put a new body (genuine Westfield) on my car along with a few other bits.

Silicone is the problem as paint hates it.  I left the scuttle on, with the front masked off.  Removing the screen, lights and all the poppers and catches etc seemed to take ages, but cost was under £500.  Izuzu yellow.

As noted, silicone. I siliconed it on 20 years back. Not everyone does though, which was why I said 'probably'.  Given it was siliconed on, it needed removing for two principle reasons.

1) remove every trace of the silicone.

2) allow a proper job of painting it rather than just painting over the panel join which, IMO, looks cack. Since it was my car, my opinion counts in this case.

Secondary reasons included removing some holes that were no longer needed and that was a whole lot easier with it off the car.

Must say, getting a bit tired of having to explain every single bl**** comment I make on this forum 'cos everyone seems to assume I'm a newb idiot.  An idiot, yes, clearly, but not a newb.

• Like 1

I changed the V8 from yellow to a pearlescent Blue back in 2008 with the body on although the scuttle, rear boot box lid, rear arches etc were removed. Have a word with Matt Turner at Millenium Paint in Skipton,he did my SEiGHT he's an active WSCC Yorks member & speed series competitor plus you meet him when we did the day out back in 2012. I'll be using him again to have the TVR Tamora sprayed in the same colour as the SEiGHT.

I'll text you his number

Buzz

The reason I asked the question is because I didn't know the answer - no offence intended.

Fair enough Martin - my misunderstanding. Apologies.

I had mine painted at Paramount Refinishing in Notts. Mainly becasue I know the owners father, and had seen some of his work. They aren't local to me so had to pay for transport too.  Not cheap, in fact, probably a tad expensive, but very pleased with the result and the attention to detail was superb.

We like it anyway.

IMG_0811.jpg

I did mine the same time as chris,inc rear light surgery !!

I left body/scuttle on and did most of the prep myself ( nose cone vent,rear arch alterations and removing swept fronts )

Cost me £300 in tahiti blue - a couple of dry spots , but its not an e type and i bought it to drive - not show - so ime happy for what i paid

For what it cost ille probably do it again in another colour when i get fed up with it

I know some of us are more fussy and their cars are far nicer in detail than mine

You pay your money etc etc

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/19sac65/media/image-3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Car looks great btw chris

That's a very good point Steve - what result does one want. It is as you say very much down to what you want to achieve and what you are using the car for. No absolute right or wrong in it at all.

:blush:  most kind.

That blue looks nice too. Some colours work well on some shapes - that combination certainly works a treat.

So, to answer the orginal question, from £300 to £3000 or thereabouts.  A proper 'how long is a piece of string' reply and proably no help at all!