Megabusa - something a bit special - NOW SOLD

fatbaldbloke

I've been pondering this for some time.  I've loved building and owning this car, I go in the garage and just look at it, but there are so many other things I want to do before I grow up.

So, I've decided to sell my stunning 'busa.  It's arguably one of the best road going cars around, those that have seen it or been in it have been quite complimentary.

m18082012001.jpg

(This arty, farty, photo makes it look orange, it's yellow, see more photos below).

Firstly, a little about me:  A Chartered Mechanical Engineer for over 30 years, recently elected a Fellow of the I. Mech E.  I've worked in and around F1 for the last 25 years, including spells as Production Manager for Stewart GP and Jaguar F1.  I now work in the IT team as Head of Manufacturing Systems for Red Bull Racing.  I guess, basically, that all means I know how to build a half-decent car.  This one is my second Westfield, previous to this I rebuilt a 2 litre Zetec version that's still in the club so to speak.  Before that I rebuilt an Austin Healey Sprite, TR3, 5 and 6, Mini Cooper S, speedboat and house....

Next, a bit of history about the car:

The Megabusa was initially built by Nick Algar (PlaysKool Motorsport and our esteemed competitions secretary) in 2001 from a full kit of new parts supplied by Westfield. It was first registered in July 2001 and used for sprints in 2003 in standard form. 2004 saw the fitting of a supercharger and a modified engine. This was improved over the winter of 2004 to run very successfully in the 2005 season, producing 280 BHP at the end of the season. After that it hardly saw any use other than a brief appearance in class G at the end of 2010, with a GSXR1000 engine, the supercharged engine having been sold.

For the first half of the decade it was a top running Speed Series car, winning class F in 2003 & 2004 and 2nd in class H in 2005. It also finished 2nd in British Sprint Mod Prod in 2005 and was the winning race prepared car in Midland Speed 2005. During its racing career it had numerous 1st in class and a few FTD’s

Other than the one outing in 2010 it largely languished for the 6 years between 2005 and 2011. When I bought it, it had deteriorated a bit for the lay up but I was only the second owner and it had covered a meagre 1400 miles from new (albeit quite quickly). The whole rebuild and massive upgrade took me just over a year, about 600 hours work in total, and a lot of cash, and is fully documented in the live build thread that I ran at the time, warts and all, i.e. it wasn't written as an advert but a true record of the build.  

Link here:

Now, about the car:

Model/chassis: 

2001 Westfield SEiW Megabusa.  This is a Y reg (not Q)

Body: 

Carbon fibre : nose, engine side panels, aeroscreen, dashboard, internal panels, front bulkhead top, pedal cover, rear bulkhead, rear arches, boot lid. 

Carbon effect  ABS : front arches, cockpit external side panels. 

GRP : bonnet, exterior body, scuttle. 

PlaysKool MSA Approved roll hoop. 

Fully plumbed fire extinguisher system. 

Westfield padded race seats with Sabelt 3" harnesses. 

Full aluminium undertray with kevlar sump guard.

Steering: 

Quick rack, polybush mounted, with aluminium track rod extensions and rose joints. 

Westfield aluminium uprights and hubs. 

PlaysKool infinite camber adjusters. 

Momo detachable steering wheel.

Suspension: 

Front - Cat Motorsport wide track wishbones fitted with polybushes and rose joints, coil over AVO spring (7x275) and alloy shock absorber units. 

PlaysKool front anti-roll bar.

Rear - fully independent with polybushes and rose joints running a 3.36 Sierra diff with Quaife ATB limited slip diff. 

PlaysKool rear anti-roll bar. 

Coil over Avo spring (8x180) and alloy shock absorber units. 

Strengthed chassis around the diff mounts plus removeable reinforcing crucifix brace between diff and shock absorber mounts.

Full geo set up at NMS in 2012.

Wheels and tyres: 

6" front and 7" rear R500 wheels. 

Yokohama A048 tyres, 185-60x13 front and 205-60x13 rear.

Brakes: 

Front - Machined solid discs with bespoke trigger disc, Westfield (Willwood Dynalite) 4 pot calipers. Mintex 1144 pads.

Rear - Solid discs with bespoke trigger disc with Sierra Cosworth rear calipers. Mintex 1144 pads.

Engine and gearbox: 

2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300. 

Completely rebuilt by Mistral Engineering in 2011 as a "zero" mile unit. New main bearings, new big ends, as new pistons and rings, inspected crank and rods, head skimmed, valves recut, camshafts inspected, fitted and shimmed, new seals and gaskets. 

Standard Suzuki ECU with PowerCommander USB3 controller.  

Full rolling road calibration in 2013 at NMS.

TTS full billet dry sump system. 

Davies-Craig electric water pump and electronic controller. 

Setrab oil cooler. 

Goodridge, Aeroquip and Samco hoses throughout. 

Fuel hard lines in cupro-nickel. Hoses R9 spec.

Pipercross air filter. 

Bespoke large bore competition spec exhaust manifold and Wunoff silencer.

Racing spec gel battery. 

Bespoke lightweight loom (some say this car sets the standard for wiring).  

AB Performance electric reverse with special order Brise motor. 

2-piece Bailey-Morris lightweight propshaft with torque resilient tube section. 

6-speed sequential gearbox, multiplate wet clutch with Geartronic gear indicator. 

Aim Mychron3 Gold digital dash, datalogger and trackside beacon.

Performance: 

Power - 184bhp at the flywheel, 162bhp at the wheels, measured at NMS 2013.

Torque - 109 lbs-ft at the flywheel, 100 at the wheels

Weight - 485kg.

0-60 - about 3.2s. Top speed 130 mph.

m260812002.jpg

m250712001.jpg

m300612001.jpg

More to come....

m020712001.jpg

wiring1.jpg

mb0299.jpg

mbleftfront2.jpg

The car has now covered about 1500 miles since the rebuild, I only use it on the road.  It's been totally reliable, more-or-less rattle free, awesome performance and flexibility and beautifully balanced.  It's MOT'd until August 2014 and taxed until December 2014.  Oil and filter change was about 200 miles ago.

I think it would be equally at home as a show car, road car, trackday or competition car.  

It's also the main picture for June in this year's WSCC calendar.

Location; near Bedford.  Price: £14995 which represents a lot less than I've paid in parts alone, so no offers, that's it.  

PM or call on 07811 146957

Followed the build of this - absolute stunning car IMO.

• Like 1

If anybody wants to buy it , Get in quick before Ian changes his mind again.

My only comment would be that this car is the one i would buy in an instant - the photos dont do it justice and Ian's approach is second to none in terms of attention to detail.  

I WISH i had the spare cash in the bank - it is such a nice car.  Everything about this car is mint.

GLWTS 

James 

I've always thought this car looks awesome - I have no doubt the buyer will have no regrets :)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.