Wheels / Tyres (wot again)

dreed

Hi.  As the title /tag suggests I'm upgrading to 1b tyres this years. I've decided on Kuhmo and 1.2 Team Dynamics rims. The big question is with the experience you all have where is the best place to go to buy. Ideally tyres and rims in one package. 

Sizes 15" x 195 front, 15" x 205 rears. I suspect you'll have different thoughts on my choice.

Regards

Dave Reed

Hi Dave , I think the factory is doing that deal at the moment. Or luke at play skool sells the kumhos :-)

Make sure you get super soft compound for sprinting

Good Point Terry,

Dave - are you motoring to events this year or do you have a trailer ?

I only ask as Matt Hillam advised me if i get super soft tyres they MUST be kept off the road and clean for sprinting.

Terry (or anyone) - what sort of life span would super soft tyres have if you did use them on the road?

James

If you have an MSA comp. licence, you can buy the wheels from Team Dynamics direct. Not sure how that affects the price you pay. ;)  ;)  ;)

I think that any supersoft tyre will not last long on the road if driven aggressively and will be lucky to last a track day

Hi

Will be using the trailer, will be looking to buy super soft, current tyres and rims will be used for on road cruising!

I suspected Westfield factory and Plays Kool would be the suggestions, just wondered if there were any other suppliers out there.

mel Williams tyres :t-up:

all ways gets a good price and normally next day delivery

You've lost me Pete

You supplying tyres now?

no :oops: that's where I get mine from

Contact details please

google his name  I cant cut and paste it wont let me

:(

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a much discussed subject which I sure has been done to death, I've been searching on here and via Google on what tires to put on my Megabusa but am really struggling to make a decision.

I'll mainly be using the car for Sprinting (Borough 19) and a few track days, but I don't have a tow car so will be driving to all the events and also taking it out on the road when ever I can which makes the tire choice a bit more difficult. I dont want to be giving up loads of performance but at the same time I'll want something that will work on the roads in the British climate. Plus if it does rain heavily during an event I wont be able to take spare wheels.

The options I have found based on here and Google are in order of preference;

1. Toyo R1R
  2. Toyo 888
  3. Avon ZZR
  4. Kumho V70
  5. Yoko AO48

I think its a choice between R1Rs and the 888s I'm leaning towards the Toyo R1Rs as have read they are similar to 888s in dry, but a lot better than 888s in wet but apparently R1Rs have soft side walls making the car feel a bit soft.

Experiences and opinions very welcome!?!

I ran 888 GGG compound on road, track and sprints last year with a car engined car in wet and dry first season :)

I was a bit slow as my times show in the results :(

This year I'm going with 888 SG compound as I do trail the car to events and I'm keeping the GGG medium tyres on another set of rims for the road

I'm sure I will still be a bit slow ;) ;) but won't be able to blame the tyres this year ;(

It's all a compromise 888 are cheap and I find them predictable, I could pay twice the price on tyres but it's all about the taking part and having fun on the cheap for me :)

Well that's my take on it

In terms of compound, if it were just a year of sprinting and the road driving to and from events then I'd be looking at mediums (depending upon the number of rounds you plan to enter), but they'd likely overheat on a trackday unless you were to stick to short sessions.

The aspect ratios of the tyres might be a factor (i.e. 215/50 of the Kumho vs 215/55 of the ZZR) depending upon whether you're running a 3.36 or 3.14 diff and the top speed you need for the tracks you'll drive.

If you've definately narrowed it down to the 888's or the R1R's then I'd personally go with the 888's; their ability to clear water is very good and the extra treadblocks of the R1R's will make them more likely to overheat on a trackday as they move around.

Adding another option to your list - George Polley can cut A048's into a wet patten... but with price in mind I'd be picking the Kumho's from Mel Williams as mentioned by Pete above.