A bit of SORN help please (standard self-conflicting DVLA info)

AdamR

Morning all,

I'm after a bit of SORN help please... basically I SORNed my track car in Feb last year. Did it online, easy job.

Now I've got a reminder in the post to re-SORN or tax it. Tried to do it online, reference number doesn't work. Tried on the phone (fully automated service, can't speak to a human  ???  ), number not recognised and tells me to go and do it online instead.

Having a read around the websites state "Your SORN is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped." yet the letter I have stated "you must tell us you are keeping the car SORNed before 31st Jan or face a fine".

Does anyone know which of these two bits of info is correct?! Has something changed recently? The letter states 'The rules may change, check gov.uk/sorn', so I'm tempted to believe the website... but don't want a fine.

I'd love to be able to ring someone at DVLA to confirm but it appears they don't want to let me!

Thanks in advance,

Adam

There are a load of threads on pistonheads about this.  I think sorns no longer run out.

Adam, I would recommend writing to the DVLA with a copy of everything and explaining you tried but could not comply with their request due to inadequacy of the DVLA system.  Keep a copy for yourself and send it registered.  If they then come after you, your back is covered. :yes:

Good shout! I'll send them a bill for my time due to their incompetency as well... if only.

Adam, I would recommend writing to the DVLA with a copy of everything and explaining you tried but could not comply with their request due to inadequacy of the DVLA system.  Keep a copy for yourself and send it registered.  If they then come after you, your back is covered. :yes:

or email and save yourself a stamp

Just tried that - the site leads you on into thinking you're about to send them an email, but it simply takes your details and emails you an automatically generated 'info sheet' which is just a copy of the website, pretty much!

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/vehicle_9_1.html

The conflict may have something to do with not needing a Tax Disc this coming Feb.   and yes it has been normal to sorn until the car has been sold or re taxed.  Poor Adam, your stuck in the middle mate.

I have to sorn my scooter every year have done for the last 10years

Poor Adam, your stuck in the middle mate.

To be honest, it happens every time I try to deal with any organisation run by the government, so I'm getting used to it!

Hi

Try using your log book serial number details instead of the reminder code.

It seemed to work for me when I was late scorning my vehicle a few days ago.

I have to sorn my scooter every year have done for the last 10years

I didn't know you were a latent Mod Pete.      Have a look at the DVLA website about SORN, you don't have to renew it every year or show any insurance. 

It's just Adam's Ref. no. that doesn't work, in which case he should send the letter back explaining his Ref. no. doesn't work.