New midlands member...

Prawnabie

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum and have just paid up so thought I needed to introduce myself! I live in Redditch and am shortly going to be placing and order for a Mazda SDV starter kit. I already have a donor, a 1.8 1996 Uk spec MX5. When this is stripped I will be ordering the kit.

I will be sourcing the other items separately and scouring the classifieds as I think for what you get in the completion kit, £5000 is a lot of money - so if anyone has any bits left over please get in touch!!

This is not my first venture into the kit car scene, I sold my scratch build Locost about 4 years ago and have been hankering after another one ever since - I am now in a position to build one so 2014 is the year!

Thanks in advance and heres to another year of never ending builds!

Shaun

Good morning and welcome

Lots of help and advice to tap into hear to be had

Hi Shaun,

Welcome to the forum :t-up: you'll find plenty of help and advice on here from past builders of the Mazda SDV's including from myself, and there's a whole wealth of info in the archives. You can find all my build photos at http://www.mx5westfield.co.uk

Just to give you a quick heads up that there's a few small errors in the build manual and things that could be done slightly differently to improve the build. This thread will give you a few pointers to save any mistakes http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/98062-updating-the-mazda-sdv-build-manual/?p=1000978 also should you have any questions during the build just ask on here :)

Regarding the cost of the completion kit, for the parts included it actually represents very good value and its price is discounted compared to buying the parts individually. I built mine from only a starter kit as I wanted to change a few things but it did cost me a lot more to do things this in way, in hindsight I should have bought the completion kit and saved a few £££. If you decide there is a few parts you want to get from somewhere else then Westfield will adjust the contents of the completion kit and take out the parts you don't want to make the price a little bit cheeper for you.

• Like 1

Welcome Shaun, lots of Mazda owners on here, so plenty of advice, at least. And I'm sure, given how many of the guys have caught upgradeitus, there must be some spares knocking round  ;)  :d 

Posted at the same time as Mark...

As he said, don't totally rule out the completion kit, even if you don't want all of it.

I'm building a different Westfield model at the moment, though it's also a starter kit, rather than complete kit.

It's my second Westfield build and the first time round I sourced 90% of the parts needed directly from suppliers (and some second hand). It seemed to save quite a bit at the time.

This time round, I've actually just bought quite a lot of the parts from the factory, so far. Apart from being easier, I do seem to have saved myself both a lot of time and a lot of miles/petrol collecting parts here there and everywhere along with postage getting them sent from lots of different suppliers. 

Have fun, whichever approach you take!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I omitted to say that I work for for a Renault parts dept at a dealer who also does a lot of work on non renault cars so I know a lot of suppliers who hopefully can do me deals of some of the parts in the completion kit. I also have a AC/DC TIG welder and will be looking at getting a custom tank made. Hopefully this will set me on my way to saving a bit of money. There will be things I know I will have to get from the factory but I am always on the look out for a bargain!

Once again thank you and I hope to be tapping the collective knowledge very soon!

Shaun

Ah, cool, trade pricing makes quite a difference!  :d 

We've got a few build threads on the go at the moment, would be fantastic to see another  ;)  :oops: 

Welcome along from another MX5 SDV'er. Mine is also a 1.8, although a bit more powerful than standard :d  :db-westy:

Here is my build thread from when I did mine, might be worth a read through

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/90534-kugawesties-build-thread-now-an-upgrade-thread/?&hl=kugawestie

Remember when you strip the donor to label absolutely every connection on the wiring loom, it will help you later when you come to prune it and refit it.

Get a build thread up and running with lots of photos would be my advice. It not only gets you valuable input from people that have been through the process, but it also helps you step away from the build and gain a bit of clarity when you get those times when you cannot see the woods for the trees! I really had a lot of help when I built mine which made it so much easier and faster.

I also have a AC/DC TIG welder and will be looking at getting a custom tank made. Hopefully this will set me on my way to saving a bit of money.

Fancy making me a nice alloy header/expansion tank?

Im planning on making a couple of tanks for coolant etc so will post the results to see if they are of acceptable westfield standard!

Im planning on making a couple of tanks for coolant etc so will post the results to see if they are of acceptable westfield standard!

Excellent :)