PQ17 Arctic Convoy Tonight 9.30 BBC2

SootySport

Watched this last week and is more interesting than the title suggests.

saw it on on iplayer... was worth a watch

+1 Great viewing of a little known arm of WWII and long overdue recognition .. those young men really suffered!

Must try and catch this. My dad, briefly, did some of the Arctic Convoys, as a young radio operator in the merchant marine.

• Like 1

Your dad was a lucky man then to have survived those conditions.   My Grandad was a Merchant seaman in the 1st. world war, landed the Aussies at Gallipoli under machine gun fire, made six trips in his row boat from the ship to the beach with a few Aussies each time :(

• Like 1

He was indeed. 

Sailed lots of different routes all round the world, over the course of the war. To this day I still use a old wooden hanger form some laundry service in Singapore for which ever is my favourite shirt at the time!

One of his favourite times, was when their convoy was a little too late attempting to leave the Hudson Bay in Canada one year; they got frozen in for months.

Dad did a few years on oilers. I was fifteen and his health was in real decline before he actually talked to me about those particular days.

Like most of our fathers and grandfathers, the bad experiences of being involved in wars prevented them from telling us offspring of there careers. I didn't find out much from my grandad at all and now too late as I can't ask him now.  I suppose it's possible there are records of Merchant Seaman somewhere.

I had an uncle who served with the Chindits

As a lad he used to take me fishing, he always seemed to be a really cheerful happy go lucky type but he never would talk about or even mention his experiences during WW2

I suppose they just wanted to forget all about the past and look forward , the memories of all those absent friends and the horrors of war must have been too terrible to bear thinking about .