Help me sort a family holiday :-)

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Been rather spoilt the last few years with family hols (me, the wife and three kids 5,7 and 8yrs currently) as we have been to florida and really done the parks to death

So we are looking to sort a holiday (start of April for a couple of weeks)

Needs to be...

Warmish

Safe for the kids

Plenty to do sight seeing wise plus maybe close by beaches (we will fly then rent a motor)

Not the run of the mill family package holiday where I may have to rub shoulders with track suit wearing oiks :d so something a bit more special without costing one million dollars :blush:

Not too long a flight

We prefer a villa so we can do our own thing

We have been looking at Italy, south of France or maybe one of the med islands but because neither of us have done these hols we dont really have a clue

Yours suggestions please :t-up:

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

We have booked a gite in the Bordeaux region (less than 5 miles from beaches) direct with the owner. Taking the family car over on the ferry. All booked seperately for the last 2 weeks in August. All done for about £1800

Can't wait!

I'm not usually a big fan of package holidays, tending to prefer fly/drive/villa active outdoor trips, but would highly recommend this...

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Paphos/Holiday-Village-Aliathon-028252

http://www.aliathonvillage.com/

We chose this, fancying somewhere warm where we had not been before, after seeing the reviews on trip adviser. After getting back Wendz (Onliest tigger), put on a glowing review, which says a lot as we are generally a bit 'fussy'. 

We went as an offspringless couple and can say it is very well set out for all types of holiday goers, and the holiday village is like a collection of villas, has a great atmosphere.

The Cypriot staff and locals were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is owner managed and this is reflected in the quality of service and eagerness to make sure everything was right.

Food was excellent, a class above usual hotel catering. The apartments also have small kitchenettes for self catering.

Two pools - one for adults and one with a beach entry great for young ones.

Plenty do do onsite for youngsters including its own high(ish) ropes course for all ages (including adults)

We didn't hire a car as busses were good, but would probably next time for part of the holiday to get further afield especially if staying two weeks.

The organised excursions were a bit pricey.

There are beaches very close with better great ones a bit further away.

At the start of April the med is not going to be all that warm. It can rain quite a lot around Easter time. You can be lucky but don't bet money on it. April is never really swimming pool weather unless it's heated in some way.

Start of Aprils going to be will still be somewhat cold and can be wet in south france, italy etc.

How about Dubai fair bit to do, beaches outdoor stuff and relatively easy to avoid track suit oiks and that sort of thing.

thanks for the info chaps :t-up: :t-up: - off to do some research

temp wise - I like comfortable rather than hot - just off to do some research on temps at that time of year

Cleggy,  Corby isn't too far from you, turn the air con up in the car and hit MacDonalds hard  :yes:  :yes:  :p

we loved almyrida beach in Crete - very good activities in the sea, diving, snorkelling and such - really lovely destination 

Went to Croatia last summer. Admittedly to a hotel ( we normally always do villas!). To the area an hour's drive south of Split. Fantastic scenery. Good (inexpensive) food and drink. Don't expect theme parks or the like!

If you want to see some pics pm me and I will give you my daughter's tumblr address.

For something different, we've done Neilsen activity hols for the last few years.  If the kids want to learn to sail/windsurf/dive its ideal.  Good food and accommodation/facilities, based in several resorts around Greece and Turkey.  Half resort half flotilla available too if you want to have a go on the bigger boats.  Sivota in Greece was a stunning location.  Focia in Turkey probably the best all round facilities.

Funnily enough, we are doing Florida for the first time in October this year.

Menorca in a Villa with a Pool, just about anywhere on the island is reachable within 45mins.   No Oiks or Russians yet.