Caterham driver dies after crash on M1

Rory's Dad

Some of you may have seen this on Pistonheads and/or Blatchat.  Firstly, my condolences to friends and family.  He died in hospital on Christmas Day - how dreadful.

There was also a crash on the M1 in the autumn when a driver and his son came close to losing their lives in another Caterham.  This second accident did not involve another vehicle.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But I have a question. To what extent did tyres have had an impact on either or both of these crashes? 

My second point is that everyone needs to be really careful driving a seven styled car in the winter on a motorway using tyres that may not be suitable.  Please think twice chaps.

Condolences indeed, and I echo Martin's advice to exercise caution.

Please note that the Moderation Team will not be allowing speculation as to the causes - it's for others to examine the evidence and decide the cause in due course, and speculation is not helpful here at all.  Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

• Like 1

One polite request please.

The moderation team has already had a busy weekend.

Can I remind everyone participating that the Seven world is a small community and that friends or even relatives of those involved in the recent tragic crash and the earlier accident may well read this. (Lets not go down the Pistonheads route, please).

This has been started as a discussion thread, rather than an in-memoriam thread, so perhaps those that simply wish TP pay respects should start a fresh thread?

That lot out of the way, I've only just seen the name of the driver released today, despite having followed it since Christmas Day, there seemed very little information so far. Has more come to light, with respect to the cause?

Double posted with Scott.

As said, please facts only.

Several guests currently following the thread... 

(Ie not registered Boardroom trial users or club members)

A very sad occurrence. RIP and condolences.There but the grace of God goes any one of us.

very sad news ,never nice to loose anyone no matter what the circumstances ,though more so especially at christmas which seems to make it worse

no need for speculation on here or anywhere as to what happend thats for the police to sort out

Hear hear, guys! My condolences to family and friends at this very very sad time.

I have done many miles on motorways in my Westfield, 225 mile stretches two or three times a week for 14 months, in all weathers. People do not look, my :yellow-westy: is bright yellow and I have been hit while stationary three times and twice while moving... every time I've been hit "I didn't see you" was the response (if people stopped). I am not a fast driver and after my driving assessment was told I was cautious and follow road laws precisely (slowing at an amber causes person accelerating to hit me type scenario), so please remember people on the roads think "Bigger has right of way" and keep it safe.

I have now bought a car and use :yellow-westy: as fun car. My non-fun car is a volvo... Automatic. I have massively noticed a difference in other drivers attitudes, driving same routes, same times and seeing same patterns of driving ahead and behind me.

I am saddened by this and it is horrific news.

What terrible news and my thoughts are with the family and friends.

I would also like to point out the specific forum section this thread is in. It just doesn't seem right. Even if "correct" in other senses.

I agree Nicks - this is hardly 'stuff and nonsense'.  On Blatchat it's listed on 'chitchat' which is not much better.  I hesitate to suggest another classification...