Where's my Horn?

Arthur

Sorry for the silly questions guys.

My new Westie had a pathetic horn which then stopped altogether, so I got myself a nice new pair of loud ones. Went to fit them this morning but can't find the old one!!!

After much searching have concluded that it is between the radiator and the inner fibreglass "wall" which is part of the nosecone.

No problem I thought, just whip off the nosecone - only 3 bolts. Problem 2 - the radiator appears to be fitted as part of the nosecone. Do I have to drain down the water system to take off the nose?

Any advise for a Westie virgin would be appreciated

Sounds like you have the ducted nose cone, so, yes you have to drain the system. I have the same set up but decided last year to remove the radiator and attach it independently to the chassis. Life is so much easier now...

What the Wise Man of Canada said above...

...and welcome to the world of upgradeitis! :t-up:   It's a very slippery slope but a fun one (said the man collecting his new wheels and tyres tonight)!

If your new ones are airhorns, bear in mind that they have a large current draw which would quickly burn out the standard horn wiring. The solution is to use the existing wiring to operate a relay close to the airhorns. Then take a suitable direct feed from a  fused supply through the relay contacts to power the horns. Apologies if you already know this  :)

I fitted a pair of Ring Low/High note horns to mine using a relay - much better and louder than the original WF version.

Getting back on topic, mine has a ducted nosecone, and from the day it left the factory, has never needed the system draining to disassemble the front end. There's a little more to it than 3 bolts though. There are two fixings on the underside of the nose, two fixings one either side attaching the cone to the tub sections and then 3 fixing attaching the nose cone to the internal ducting on the trailing edge of the duct. once these are all removed, the nose can be persuaded off as it also sits on a couple of lugs. 

For what it's worth, my horn was behind the ducting, so in the engine bay and accessible without touching the nose. I guess a home builder could locate it anywhere though, but have a good look to check yours hasn't just dropped off.

Ben

If you don't want to drain the water and don't mind the extra mass buried in your car (until the next time you drain the coolant for another reason) you can add another horn elsewhere and cut the wires to the current horn. Crude, but can be done in less time.