had a car in for service ,shocking !

SteveD

Since being here I've seen some shocking things and people really not caring about cars and keeping up with anything,

"It runs, it's ok"

Kinda attitude. It's made me realise how to many people a car is no different to a fridge, TV or washing machine.

But that's another level!

I thought 300ml of oil in the engine, 200ml of coolant in the system, metal on metal brakes and wipers that have fallen apart was bad.

Jaguar XK engines had a short metal strip riveted on the end of the dipstick which had the marks on it. A customer called into a garage and filled the car and asked them to check the oil. The rivet had broken and the strip was laying at the bottom of the sump. The garage attendant poured 5 gallons of oil into the engine before it showed on the shortened dipstick.

There was oil pumping out of every hole and gasket on the engine. Even the washer bottle was full of oil.

Engine out and all new gaskets and a few hours to clean the engine bay.

Back in the 80s I used to work in a truck garage - endless hours of stories I could tell of my 7 odd years of experience .. 

I once drove a truck from Bristol to the Midlands with no clutch .... or foot brake to speak of, was feathering the handbrake when I needed to ...

Classic was a driver in our fleet who said he'd run out of fuel on the M5 despite showing half a tank .. his truck was sitting on the hard shoulder down Gloucester way, I turned up with a 5 gallon drum of diesel and enough plastic pipe to bypass the filters and existing pipework to get the tipper home ... getting underneath I noticed a trail and pool of what I first thought was fuel under the engine, this turned out to be engine oil leaking from a hole in the side of the block which had what was left of a rod hanging out - he'd run the thing out of water and seized it up, he was adamant it had spluttered to a halt and wasn't making any 'strange' noises ... 

It's not just you Steve, we had this Corsa in for service this morning, look at the state of these front discs ???

80710336-0216-4A00-B8FD-4412DC283A85.jpg

My local MOT station has a set of photos on their Reception wall that were taken of items on cars presented for the annual test: it beggars belief what some people have been driving on the public highway.  

R