had a car in for service ,shocking !

SteveD

had a bloke drop a car in for a service ,he said while its in can you look at the brakes as he said he had a slight brake judder ,when i jumped in it ,i thought what the chuff eevn after 2ft it felt like it was going to fall appart

here is the cause

20131213_144332_zps549b70cf.jpg[/

URL]

20131213_144349_zps4ddea60e.jpg

unbevievable he drove it 12 miles to us and had been using it daily like this :angry:  seriously some people should not be driving

• Like 1

the back face was just flapping around in a orbital motion :suspect:

To be fair when you only drive one vehicle it is quite suprising what you think is normal and you get used to.

I still remember locking up the westy brakes on my first drive. Was getting used to it, braked for a round about remember thinking where have the brakes gone - panic'd and proded harder, resulting in all four locked up.

Having worked in the trade for many years I have seen many horrors. We once went to the Mintex proving grounds at Sherburn in Elmet, where they have a black museum of items removed from cars may after accidents. Drums and discs so worn they were wafer thin. Brake shoes where an enterprising person had rivited a leather belt on instead of new material. But my favorite was a set of disc pads that had been beautifully carved out of mahogany, that were allegedly removed from a crashed e type jaguar.

Many people do not understand the dangers of a car or noises that spell disaster, taking discs out that were metal to metal was an every day occurance, as was tyres with cords exposed.

taking discs out that were metal to metal was an every day occurance, as was tyres with cords exposed.

Ah, the good old days.

To be fair when you only drive one vehicle it is quite suprising what you think is normal and you get used to.

Am very ashamed to admit that I was one of those.  Previous car was a Fabia vRS which I drove to work day in day out and at every low speed bump there was this rattle coming from the back.  Thought it was a spring or something, but when investigating it (after many many miles) it appeared to be the brake disc shield...  so I drove around for many many more miles until I changed pads and discs.  The noise was indeed related to the brake disc shield...  as the pad on the inside had totally disintegrated and got stuck rattling there!

Good thing the front brakes still worked ;)

OK, confession time. I drove to Brittany, from Sheffield, in a 1973 Lotus Elan. No noise but the handbrake became non existent on the journey there.

We were driving to the coast and in a small town approaching a red traffic light. I applied the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. Pulled the handbrake on but to no avail. We went sailing on through the red lights and, luckily nothing was coming across. 

I slowed the car through the gears, mounted the kerb when at walking speed, jumped out and stopped the car by holding it back.

Phoned the breakdown company who got a local garage to send a flatbed to recover the car to there garage around the corner. I jacked the car up and found the n/s/r caliper leaking fluid.

Whilst the garage owner was on the phone trying to get another caliper I borrowed his tools and removed the pads - all one of them, the other had worn down so much it had gone.

I pushed the piston back, rummaged in the bins and found a decent set of old pads, reshaped them to fit and buttoned it all up. Took some brake fluid off his shelf and HM and I bled the brakes. I was letting the car down when he came out to explain he couldn't get a caliper in France and it would take a week to come from the UK.

I paid him for the fluid, explained what I had done and drove off.

The brakes were fine for the rest of the holiday, even the handbrake sort off worked. (Elan handbrakes never worked as the pivot on the diff mounting cage would come up to the bracket before the pads would touch the calipers)

When we got home I fitted new discs and pads all round, the calipers were OK and not leaking or seized.