What's the most stupid thing you've ever done?

Norman Verona

I've done so many it's difficult to know where to start.

I suppose going into a phone shop to get a phone fixed, here in France, getting some funny looks and after an hours discussion realising I was in the wrong providers shop. My phone was supplied by SFR and I was in a competitors shop.

Move to Birmingham,

I could go on all day about the reasons, but I moved from a little place in Dorset, walking distance from beaches and I had always lived within 5 miles of a beach. So decided a change might be exciting...arrived on a monday, went out the following Friday night and had a police cordon on my street due to a multiple shooting.

Then after 2 1/2 years I was involved in my first ever RTC... Since then my westfield's been in the factory getting repaired longer than it's been in my garage!

Five years four months and there's light at the end of the tunnel now, job applications for work in Jersey have be sent off and my military exit starts in January!

Forgetting to drain the oil from the sump before turning the engine over on the stand.

Image035.jpg

Forgetting to drain the oil from the sump before turning the engine over on the stand.

Image035.jpg

I have done something similar 

Taking an HT lead off with the engine running. Won't do that again.

When I was Head of Maintenance in my last job overseeing the motor vehicle garage as a small part of my remit, filling my diesel car up with petrol. Doh senior moment no 1. Made sure I told no one though.

Bob :love:

Easy.  Jumping into a swollen river to rescue a child when I couldn't swim myself, because no one else was doing it.  Despite my stupidity, I managed to save her (and myself).  Extremely stupid with a successful outcome.  God knows what I was thinking.

• Like 4

Mark, I suspect we've all done something along those lines. 

Russ, my first foreman, Mac, would touch a plug lead with one hand (with engine running) and then put the first finger of his other hand to the victims nose.

I put my fingers directly onto the output of an 11km electric fence once….and it was on….

This Is easy! It was wasting a couple of extra years with my ex-finance about after I found out she was an [insert expletive here]. Thankfully the 10 year anniversary of coming to my senses is next June!

Easy.  Jumping into a swollen river to rescue a child when I couldn't swim myself, because no one else was doing it.  Despite my stupidity, I managed to save her (and myself).  Extremely stupid with a successful outcome.  God knows what I was thinking.

You were thinking about others...its your nature...God bless you.

I told Mrs C about this thread...

Ok not something she did, but relates to Norm's OP. But probably not the most stupid thing this person did.

While working in a bank in Bude Sarah had a customer come in...

"Could I have some money please?"

Sure, could I have your card please?

"I left my wallet at home..."

Ok, have you got your passport...

"What??? I'm in England, I don't need my passport!"

Ok, have you got your driving license?

"Did you not hear me when I said I left my wallet at home!?!?!?"

Ok, which branch are you with?

"Birmingham!"

Ok, which branch in Birmingham?

"Halifax!"

Ok Sir, firstly that is not the branch, I would need to know the area and secondly... This is Natwest.

Coincidently this was not uncommon and was Mrs C's first exposure to the people we now call neighbours. A large proportion of the holiday makers in Devon/Cornwall are from Birmingham and two or three times a week someone would be on holiday and left their cash card at home.