Springs for tin top where from?

TrophyJem

My son's 59 plate 1.2 Ibiza has just failed MOT with a broken front spring.

The dealers want £310 to replace the pair, so I've offered to do it for him as he's a poor student.

No problem I thought I'll ring Bennetts the motor factors place just up from where I work and they'll get them. I've used them before for springs and their prices are always good.

Problem - They say the car model is too new so they can't supply.

The local seat dealer want £145 a pair.

Any ideas of where I might get them? None on ebay for that age of car.

Crazy thing is I can buy a set of 4 Apex lowering springs for £100 but that will lower his car 30mm and stuff his insurance.

i would have thought they would be the same as one of the vw range , i would try another factors and see what they say

• Like 1

My mate has just fitted some springs to a late model Ibiza I will try and speak to him tomorrow however I think he will have got them from either Euro or General traffic because that's who I know he uses.

Might be worth trying them both.

My mate has just fitted some springs to a late model Ibiza I will try and speak to him tomorrow however I think he will have got them from either Euro or General traffic because that's who I know he uses.

Might be worth trying them both.

Cheers I'll give them a try

I would buy just one OE spring from the dealer.   The car hasn't been around long enough for the springs to sag .

A lot of these springs are made by a couple of manufacturers in Sheffield. I used to drink with the foreman of one of the factories. The new springs fitted to my car cost me a couple of pints.

GSF have come up trumps. £70 for the pair delivered.

Do you think I would need to replace the top bearings on a car with so few miles?

When I contacted the the local Seat dealer yesterday for a price they said their computer had a note recommending that both were changed. Makes you wonder if its a common fault.

Cheers for all the responses. Much appreciated!

I would only change top bearings if they fall to bits while you are taking the spring off  , if they come off ok then they will be fine . And as previous comment says you are ok changing just one spring at a time . personally I think they break cos of our **** roads not cos of a fault . 

I would only change top bearings if they fall to bits while you are taking the spring off  , if they come off ok then they will be fine . And as previous comment says you are ok changing just one spring at a time . personally I think they break cos of our **** roads not cos of a fault . 

thats exactly what my MOT man says , common as muck across all makes these days all down to the ( mostly uneccesary )speed humps we have to negotiate daily