Half or Full cage

Hellski

Yes I noticed that too; down from £330 to £275 which makes it cheaper than the Playskool equivalent which I was going to get.  Or should I go the whole hog and get the full cage from Playskool? Decisions, decisions....Fingers crossed Playskool decide to do a group buy deal and make the decision for me!

Not any more their not!  ;)  ;)   :d

• Like 1

Do full cages work with full screens?

Usually, yes. The front cage uprights typically follow the line of the windscreen and it's uprights, but with a bit of a gap.

Just need to swap wing mirrors for the cage mounted versions. And different makes of cage may struggle around the mitt or mounting bosses on the later type screen uprights. (I'm sure I've seen the later uprights used with cages, but worth double checking with whichever manufacturer you decide on).

As for half hoods,  was always curious whether it would be possible to have one made that just secured to the cage, perhaps wrapping round the front bar that runs above the windscreen?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :xmas: 

Having fitted a Playskool cage several times, (don't ask!), the quality is excellent, the roll bars are just as good!

:oops:   ;)  :xmas:

Oh go on, these purchases are always so much easier to get signed off by the Mrs if they're a never to be repeated bargain!

Good reasons to fit full cages..

Sorry it's a Caterham..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE_N7oIPvc

And a Dutch Westfield crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHLmuyCLDY

Sadly whilst looking for these I also came upon 2 news reports of fatalities involving Westields which for obvious reasons of respect I won't post.  

Neither had a full cage.

I remember being there when that happened.  The car went so far into the thistle that they decided to leave and recover at the end of the event. He was very lucky not to take out the timing tower. It was seeing this accident and another two at Loton that convinced me that personally I would not enter SS events without a cage.

Sorry it's a Caterham..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE_N7oIPvc

Thanks again to all those that have contributed to this thread, you've certainly given me and no doubt others a lot of food for thought :t-up:

Following this thread and a conversation with my dear wife (the bank manager), I will be fitting a full cage in the new year :d

I can't understand why westfeild still produce kits with the standard hoop that even me at 5'7" would not get the benefit from in a capsize situation

That bit more hight would make a car with a hood up a bit easier to get in and out of too

It's personal choice.

Many, many, builders of road going Westfields choose the standard (cosmetic) bar.

Its an endless argument really. Take it to its extreme and you wouldn't be in a Westfield at all. In fact I suppose, go to real extremes and even the current highest rated NCAP cars aren't enough.

Don't forget, there are many very different owners and drivers of Westfeilds out there. Not all want track nails ready for ten tenths performance at all times.

It's equally the case that these days, I'd want a cage if involved in any form of Motorsport with the car. Worth noting though, that even there, the cage can only do so much.

Agreed there Dave and actually a big part of owning a Westfield for me is the open cockpit and the thrill of driving a unique and traditional fast car!

I must admit that the standard roll bar is about as useful as a chocolate teapot which did worry me hence the upgrade.

Lets hope that not many people get to find out how good the various types of bar/cage actually work!

:d I like to think of it more as a handle to help you getting in and out!

:d I like to think of it more as a handle to help you getting in and out!

:) :) :) :)

Its worth a note that the current Westfield unbranced rollbar is a massive improvement over that fitted to the earlier cars, being taller, larger diameter and thicker walled tubing it would be unfair to consider them as being the same. That said the level of protection offered by either of them when inverted would still be less than that offered by the taller braced rollbars.

How many cars do you know that have turned over ON THE ROAD

I know of a few fatal accidents but none of those turned over. 

On track, in race conditions, then I can see the point of a full cage. 

I ran my car for two years with no roll bar. The original 7s didn't have one. It was only others telling Lynne I'd get killed and her worrying that made me put it back on.