Help with moving your trailer... Tug, Dolly, pole

Tim Reid

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a trailer and need to move it about myself so looking for things to make it easier...

I have a twin axle clubman and currently tip it onto the two rear wheels to manover it about, this is hard work and not a good posture so I am risking my back.

The guy I bought the trailer off had a Tug... www.tugco.co.uk  it worked and looks excellent, made in the UK, packs/folds down, but is pricey. I have contacted the company and the heavy duty version would be suitable to move a trailer with a Westfield on it! They have also offered a discount on multiple purchases.

I have dome some more searching and found something a lot cheaper which is imported from the USA...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Tow-Trailer-Dolly-caravans/dp/B00CD5NZQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386703622&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+dolly

This states a weight limit which might be an issue and I don't trust the low price when it comes to metal. Also it appears not to pack down so I would need space to store it and could not take it to venues.

Then there is something which takes a different approach...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-185-Trailer-Caravan-Moving/dp/B0037A355C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386703567&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+mover

Does anyone have anything like these?

What do people think?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim, In all serious I have seen the thing you have referred to and they are great if the surface is good and there isn't much gradient mate 

James 

Thats it marto - caravan movers… good call 

:t-up:

Get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PawrWheel-Caravan-Trailer-Boat-Motor-Mover-Motorised-Jockey-wheel-made-in-uk-/380787987716?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item58a8bb9504 I bought one last year as Luke left home and I was moving trailer by myself. They really are great and I picked one up for under £ 100 secondhand. It moves a massive BJ RS3 clamshell trailer no problem :d :D

I must admit, if the jockey wheel is in good nick and the brakes aren't binding, a BJ Clubman should move quite easily when up on 2 wheels. I move mine easily, and I'm a decrepit pensioner!

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a trailer and need to move it about myself so looking for things to make it easier...

I have a twin axle clubman and currently tip it onto the two rear wheels to manover it about, this is hard work and not a good posture so I am risking my back.

The guy I bought the trailer off had a Tug... www.tugco.co.uk  it worked and looks excellent, made in the UK, packs/folds down, but is pricey. I have contacted the company and the heavy duty version would be suitable to move a trailer with a Westfield on it! They have also offered a discount on multiple purchases.

I have dome some more searching and found something a lot cheaper which is imported from the USA...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Tow-Trailer-Dolly-caravans/dp/B00CD5NZQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386703622&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+dolly

This states a weight limit which might be an issue and I don't trust the low price when it comes to metal. Also it appears not to pack down so I would need space to store it and could not take it to venues.

Then there is something which takes a different approach...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-185-Trailer-Caravan-Moving/dp/B0037A355C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386703567&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+mover

Does anyone have anything like these?

What do people think?

Thanks,

Tim.

I can see these helping with a small trailer that has no jockey wheel but can't see much benefit for a car trailer

Hi Tim

Just fitted a pair of caravan motor movers to mine due to moving car & trailer in & out of a tight fitting single garage alone, absolutely brilliant, but with a twin axle this is expensive since you would require 2 sets!

The benefit I am looking for is to make it easier to move... I hope these would give me something to pull/push on with a straighter back.

My dad tried on similar 40 years ago

On tight corners pushing it just twisted at odd angles on to one wheel so he gave up with it

I had a powered jockey wheel that I could swap boat to caravan when we had tight parking

That worked very well

• Like 1

Suggest that Tug device could have issues, first being the fact that it could allow the trailer/van to slip backwards off the Tug as their appears to be no simple stop to stop it rocking backwards. The handle would flick backwards and be a safety issue. The second is that as mentioned, if you are on an incline it could run away as you aren't in control of the brake easily. Quite pricey too.

A caravan mover is probably best, you would only need two drive motors one on each side, not all four wheels but it may still have issues with the double axle set up. I recall that most double wheel van owners tend to lift or lower on the jockey wheel to take load off one set of wheels.

My Brian James twin axle is difficult to move when on all 4 wheels but dead easy when on 2 wheels although that is unloaded. I may look for a second hand set of movers and give them a try as fitting them to my caravan was one of the best investments I made with the van. Radio controlled and super accurate with pin point positioning and no run aways .

Bob :)

Just jack the from t end as high as you can so you are only on rear axle and it is easier to turn and push/pull