o/t Suround Sound, Marantz amp, Mordaunt Short speakers

Tim Reid

QED do an auto amp select switch norman

I looked into them when i had my big system before we downsized homes

I had my pioneer av amp running 2 front,centre,4 rears and i wanted to use the 4 main speakers for my hifi

They were about £80 and sensed which amp was outputting and switched to it

Reviews said there was no noticeable loss in signal

I needed two of them to switch two pairs so opted for manual switches which did myself

Easy to do,but you have to use dpdt ( double pole double throw) switches so that all connections are independent of each other

Having spent about 5 miunutes (long time) I eventually found an expired item on ebay. I couldn't find a retailer just lots of forums and reviews.

The ebay item had sold for £89.99 - too much for me,

Thanks.

Having been at the retail end of the 'Hi-Fi' industry for 35 years, I can certainly vouch for the fact that quantity over quality with regard to music is definitely the order of the day for lots of people. With some of our loudspeakers selling for upwards of £15,000, it's a real education job to explain the advantages of a decent system.

It also seems age-related; younger people seem less likely to care about actual sonic quality (up to a point).

• Like 1

Pretty much my experience. Glad to be away from the high street side if I'm honest. Whilst not all clients on the distributed audio and video side are necessarily after premium audio, they generally don't pretend they are either. As long as certain "minimum" standards are met. (Often better than many a budget stand alone system if truth be told).

just starting to get back into hi-fi after having sold it all 5-6 years ago to invest in projector and home cinema setup

Just purchased a secondhand audiolab 8000s amplifier (and maybe a poweramp) and also some new q acoustic 2050i speakers all in for £600

Have listened to many high end systems over the years and the difference is pronounced between many - although I do believe there is much bulls*** spoken about different grades of cabling and other accesories - I have heard people say they fitted some sorbethene feat under their cd player and say they can hear the difference - yeah right :laugh:

Tis a real treat to hear music played on a high end system that is setup properly, I shall have to make do with something a bit more affordable

Just waiting for the kids to try to push the tweaters in for me :(  will have to have a strong word with them before the new ones arrive :)

Your for sale system still looks good value though for anyone wanting to get started

I think the general public go for aesthetics as much as anything - especially with AV

Kids want bass and treble with nothing in between

Ive played in bands,done the sound for others and seen the work that goes into the production of an album

Then most people take it home and put it in a poxy stereo that misses half of it and ruins the rest

Or puts it on a system so coloured the careful choice of instrument/patch/guitar amp was irelevant and the poor engineer might as well have knocked off early and not bothered carefully mixing everything to make the finely honed final recording.

As a spare time thing, i used to help some mates out doing the mixing and running the desk at gigs, it does give you a whole new perspective on what goes into many a recorded track.

I was lucky enough to know a member of ELO

You would be amazed at what went into those productions

Like you , after getting involved , i was driven to get the best out the recording

Since moving i really miss my setup,even though i seldom used it

Funny where some threads take you isnt it !!

One of my clients is a sound engineer for Chicago, Diana Ross and a few other lingers/bands of a similar vein. Setting systems up with him is a fascinating and humbling experience. The guy repeatedly and reliably measures things with his ears that the biologists and the medicos say isn't possible.

Electronics are no substitute for human ears

Have you posted them into the AV Forums classified section?

There a good enough brand they ort to sell, foolishly or otherwise, I havwe just paid £200 for some B&W DM603 S2 floor standers.

Daniel

Have you posted them into the AV Forums classified section?

There a good enough brand they ort to sell, foolishly or otherwise, I havwe just paid £200 for some B&W DM603 S2 floor standers.

Daniel

I'm a big fan of B&W, they generally need a good long run in from new and although easily driven an Amp that can grab them by the scuff of the neck to control the bass.

My Dad still has some original DM2s

I started with DM602s and have now progressed to CDM9 NTs.

And ooooooh to be able to have a pair of 800s  :love:  B_W_800_Diamond.jpg

Bock on topic...

As said above, you should be able to sell them being recognisable brands.

Thanks for the advice, any recommendations of which av forums?

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.