Newbie in Massachusetts

MPG

Welcome aboard. One thing, does the wiring loom have any form of immobiliser built in to it? A friend built an Roadrunner SR2 using a Mazda MX5 donor and whilst trying to cut out all the bits of the loom he didn't need, cut out the immobiliser. He ended up having to get a different loom to fix the issue. You may not have that issue with the Miata, but thought it was worth a mention. David.

I know I never had an sort of 3rd party immobiliser added, but I have to say that the wiring loom is pretty intimidating. I was shocked at how much stuff I ended up pulling out of that little car. It weighed in at over 30 pounds. The Miata seems like such a simple car by modern standards, but there were a number of pieces in there which I didn't recognize, even after working on it for 20 years. I think that most of the odd stuff is from the airbag system, but I'm going to sort through it pretty carefully before I cut anything out.

Hello and welcome MPG. I've signed up for 3 forums and this has by far the most useful information and helpful knowledgeable people if you're building, as I am. There just aren't many Westies in the US. My build thread is here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105056-dans-mazda-seiw-build/

I'm not as far along as you as my kit hasn't shipped from the factory yet.

Welcome to the club, it's fantastic to see so many cars in-build at the moment. Congratulations, and have fun with it!

Welcome from a fellow SDV'er, enjoy the build, and dont be afraid to ask!

Also there will be times when you want to lose your temper, just walk away, it all looks better the next day!

i love your glasses by the way - look like "go faster" spectacles :-) 

Those are a Mitch Altman special. We met him at a Maker Faire where we also met a really cool group of high school students who were building T-bucket which was powered by a hydrogen fuel cell!

I actually don't know where the forum software picked up that picture from. I assume it's from one of my other public profiles somewhere on the web. It seemed pretty clever that it just went out and found something. At some point I'll get to editing my profile and add a more car oriented picture.

A belated welcome from me can't wait to see more on this build!

Have fun and enjoy! Careful when driving slightly smaller than your average american car! Lol may get squished

Wingnut