autosport international

Playo

I'm thinking of booking to go next year as I've never been before

Firstly are there many trader's that are of use to westie owners in terms of parts available?

I have a few things I'm wanting to get for the car but don't know whether to wait it out till I go uo there and hope to get a bargain

There have been some good discounts on stuff for sale there in previous years, and a few Westfield relevant stands too, but obviously most of relevance to Motorsport or track daying type owners.

It can be damned expensive though, something to consider when you estimating what you'll save!

Not sure if it's still the case, but once upon a time, it used to be the place to get kitted out with race suit, boots, gloves, helmet etc ready for the new season.

I got a cracking deal on a Race Technology Dash 2 and DL1 logger plus sensors there, a year or two before the WF factory started offering them.

Prior to that, I got a fantastic deal on a set of Jenvey throttle bodies; show price plus a little extra, because they had a tiny blemish in the powder coat. Except, I didn't actually go that year, I just rang Jenvey up asking about show deals, in my naïveté, thinking I'd go down if it was a good enough deal. And Jenvey did me the deal anyway! The carriage charge was far less than entrance tickets, let alone parking and fuel!

I would recommend doing it once though, if nothing else, just for the novelty. I've always regretted not going on a trade day, when there's more to see. Might make an effort this year, if I can get a trade ticket.

• Like 1

Go on the train to Birmingham international and save 10 pounds of parking. Discounts were rare when I went two years ago but choice and temptation are impressive. It is one of the few times you can compare things in reality instead of a catalogue.

In recent trips I have been disappointed. The amount of retailers and stands had greatly diminished.

I used to get free tickets as a distributor to the motor trade. 

I always went on trade day and the technical area was really fascinating.

I still get all the emails but no more free tickets.

I would say it's worth going once, just for the experience.

I'm thinking of going. Where is the best place to get tickets?

To be honest, it's the technical areas more than the rest that I fancy having a look at. (Only been on public days). Hence wondering about trade tickets...

Thanks for the info Dave

I was hoping they'd have things that are for track/race cars. Sounds like it could be hit or miss on a really good deal but I think I'll go for the experience and keep my fingers crossed. I've got a good list of things so hopefully I'll get something

Having been for many years and also exhibited for the last 4 years it's still a good show. Yes, it's down on stands as are lots of exhibitions, but you can normally still find all that you want.

Personally I like the Thurs & Fri days which are Trade plus MSA Licence holders (and I suspect a few others if you push it.) As that is when the engineering show is on, which has a lot of interesting exhibitors in it. The Sat & Sun gets a bit more max Power.

Well worth a visit, best if you can get a car full of you to share costs.

Sponsors - Traders that are usually there :- Plays Kool Motorsport, SBD, Northampton Motorsport, Westfield Cars

If it helps last year I saved loads by using Tesco clubcard points for the tickets. There is always buy one get one free codes available if you can find them as well.

If you want to go on the trade days, you can invent a Company of your own.   Trade days are just as expensive as the Public days though.  It's a good place to try lots of helmets and racewear for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I go every year. Its a good day out and perfect to kick-start the new season.

Not a cheap day out but great fun and the bars are open all day....

If there's others going down from't'north west, I'd be interested in joining you.