DVLA Don't you just love them? Engine proof of newness

housebuilder

Mark mate, Christmas is a week tomorrow - lay off the sherry or you won't have any left. :p  ;)  :d

Posting from the mobile :)

Posting from the mobile :)

Yeah yeah yeah I've heard THAT one before... :rolleyes::p;):d

Mark, I used the term " start the process to raise the V5c.", not issue the V5c. It will be easy to install the system the car dealers use to register new cars at the IVA centre for that office to start the process. The registration number is given immediately and the V5c follows in the post. The owner will need an insurance certificate and, in some cases an MOT , It will save all the staff manually processing IVA registrations and save the owners a lot of hassle getting their cars on the road.

Where there's a will there's a way, obviously not much will.

All this costs money though and for what real gains?

the process can only be started not finished and I cannot see any logic in having a trained vehicle tester undertaking an admin role for a different goverment organisation when this process is already has to be carried out by a desk clerk at swansea on half their wage.

But that's the point, once started electronically, as in the system the dealers use to have a V5c raised for a new car, the computer does the rest, not a clerk sitting at a desk in Swansea. 

But that's the point, once started electronically, as in the system the dealers use to have a V5c raised for a new car, the computer does the rest, not a clerk sitting at a desk in Swansea.

The data inputting takes time though which the IVA examiner could better spend doing what he's actually paid to do.

The data inputting takes time though which the IVA examiner could better spend doing what he's actually paid to do.

True - being utterly pedantic takes up a lot of time.  I should know. :yes:

Wait...that came out wrong.  I think. :suspect:  Didn't it? :o

As far as I know, I've only seen the dealers use AVRIL a couple of times, but all they do is enter the chassis number. I believe the manufacturer supplies the vehicle information that ties this together. It shouldn't be that difficult for Westfield to do the same, they would have to do it for factory built cars. Whatever it takes the examiner doesn't have to do it there must be clerical staff at the test centre.

How would you fund the additional IT and training without increasing the cost of the IVA test?

From the savings made from not having clerks sat at desks pushing paper. I don't recall the dealerships having training to use AVRIL.

Anyway, we can discuss as long as we want, they won't change it, it may reduce the head count and lose the ministers power.

Also, of course, it's a service to the public who pay a lot of money for this.

I've been hijacked!!

Nice lady at the DVLA said she posted it yesterday

Christmas first blat :xmas:

So you'd take the work away from a person who is trained to to process new registrations in order for an untrained vehicle examiner to take on a clerical role?

I fear you may also have grossly under estimated the cost of installing and maintaining a secure government computer system if you believe it could be done for the price of a couple of redundancies.

Why not leave it as it is with the people in Swansea who are already doing a good job rather than trying to introduce another tier of bureaucracy into a system which isn't broken?

I've been hijacked!!

Nice lady at the DVLA said she posted it yesterday

Christmas first blat :xmas:

Good news :t-up:

Mark, the system I refer to is installed in every franchise car dealer in the UK. I'm sure the people in Swansea are highly trained but the process of getting a registration number and V5c doesn't appear to be hassle free, easy or quick.

As far as I can see the AVRIL system triggers the Swansea computer to gather the information and print it on a V5c and post it the the registered keeper.

I'm aware things have changed since the closure of the local offices but to have the car pass an IVA then have to present the car for inspection at the local office didn't sound that efficient.

We're now coming to a month since housbuilders original application was rejected by Swansea. Surely the paperwork required could have been requested at the test centre so AVRIL could have been used. Another member took months and months to get a correct V5c from Swansea whereas, I'm sure, the V5c would have been correct if the AVRIL system had been used.

Lets leave it at that.