Payment Europe to Uk?

ianstewartshouse

Hi all time to pick your brains again

I'm talking to what seems like a very nice guy from Germany who appears keen to buy my XE engined track car.

Not having sold a car across a border I was wondering which was the best way to transfer the funds to protect him and me during the process.

I spoke briefly to a nice chap in the Nationwide who recommended 'Swift Payment' although this would require me giving my IBAN and BIC numbers for the transfer to happen.

Does this sound ok or is there any other advice out there?

Ian

Yes, sounds very good advice.  Your IBAN and BIC are just your normal bank account details in international format, and there is nothing that can happen untoward with it in the hands of Ze Germans...

Ian, I wouldn't get involved in methods. Just tell him to transfer the funds (using your IBAN/BIC) or bring cash during bank hours and pay it in with him before releasing the car.

However if you do have a problem I can transfer Euro's to Sterling to your bank so if all else fails he can transfer the Euros to my (Euro) bank and I'll transfer it in Pounds to you.

Todays average rate (so far) is 1.1970 Euros to £. The spot value at the moment is .834 to a Euro

Thanks very much for the advice and Norman thanks for the offer!

I'll let you all know how it goes! Fingers crossed

There are a few local guys interested so trying to keep everyone involved!

Whoever gets the money in the account first gets it!

Ian

Hi Ian

I sold a TVR to a guy in The Netherlands earlier this year and like you had a few concerns about payment.

Anyway I spoke with with bank and they assured me that an electronic transfer from one bank to another once received can NOT be reclaimed by the sender. I provided my IBAN / BIC ref, he sent payment ( quite a large payment ) which cleared instantly, I moved it to another account just to be sure.

A week or so later he flew over and collect his new toy, all very straight forward.

Just in case you're not aware with the exchange rate as it is our UK cars are a real bargain in Europe, For instance my Honda Civic Type R registered in 2003 with 85,000 miles is worth 10,000€ in France. I paid £2,500 and then a further 1000€ on tyres and clutch. So, cost me 3,800€ and will sell at 10,000€

Caterhams are about 50% more in France than the UK.

• Like 1