IT Thing- Please, Please, Please backup

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Backup your IT data and don't open and dodgy attachments!

Im my day job, we have had to deal with a number of people that have been infected with this crypto locker virus.... we can get music and films from the internet, but pictures of granny who died is a problem.

if in doubt don't open them!

This is keeping me away from my family and the car! if anyone would like a chat then please free to PM me.

a Knackared Panda

Or get a Mac and an external hardrive - the built in Mac back up software (Time machine) is superb and will automatically back up your stuff when you plug it in. Macs are also less prone to such malware attacks in the first place too :-) 

... cue Mac vs PC argument! 

• Like 1

no arugrument...

but most mac owners are like Porche drivers and dont know how the insides work, queue bigger argument

I was a computer tech for 7years pre nurse.

I know how the insides work and have built many PC's, laptops and so on. Upgraded hundreds and changed settings on thousands. But now I just want it to work, be reliable and need no messing about with. So I have a mac air, minimum spec, still far better than most laptops I come across. I am upgrading due to needing more spec now.

I compare it to Westfield vs Tin top. Tin top (mac) just works and does as it's asked. Westfield's (windows) need a lot of attention to stay the way you want. But are far easier to upgrade, work on and do yourself, where as tin tops are pretty much locked up by manufacturer.

Oh, I've never opened chain emails or anything dodgey. But knowing there's still horrible things out there is good.

My mother's a nightmare! I've worked on her machine more than mine following "funny" emails.