Looking for first car, what to get for £8k

andyf

I'm on the lookout for my first westfield and a bit lost. For a £8kish budget what would be best to go for. Not looking for a track day car, road only. I realise probably not the best time of year to be looking but interested in what spec I could get for the money.

I'd start by reading these from the FAQ section :)

Clicky

Clacky

There will be no shortage of opinions after my post, but it's good to get some grounding first - good luck, you should get something great for that money.

Firstly Andy, Welcome to the forum!

£8k is a good budget for a nice fast road type car with good weather gear and well set up and so on.  If I were you i would post a wanted advert in the cars wanted section.

Get along to your local meeting and introduce yourself and most owners would be very please to give you a run out!

No westfield is the same and its a buyers market at the moment

James

Welcome and where abouts are you?

cheers

John

Welcome and where abouts are you?

cheers

John

In the Aberdeen area - so he's wise to ask questions and get info now before he looks in earnest and drives some distance!

My prediction is that your ideal car will be located somewhere on the south coast, which is normally what happens when looking for a Westfield!  But I hope something much closer will glitter for you. :)

I see.... could always bob to Manchester for a beer!

In the Aberdeen area - so he's wise to ask questions and get info now before he looks in earnest and drives some distance!

My prediction is that your ideal car will be located somewhere on the south coast, which is normally what happens when looking for a Westfield!  But I hope something much closer will glitter for you. :)

That only goes for people up north, for people like me who lived near the south coast, I found a Westfield in Leeds, in February and drove home through a snowstorm with it on a trailer hoping the hood would stay on...

Welcome along, we're a friendly bunch and love showing our cars off, pop along somewhere and prepare to be bamboozled by us lot :d

Oh and you MUST get an orange one :orange-westy: :orange-westy:

(Ducks for cover)

Andy, welcome to the club. There are several owners in your area but I don't know when and where they meet.

Welcome aboard 8k is a good budget just need to decide what you really want and what you don't mind changing

This time of year cars for sale are a bit thin on the ground, good luck with your search

Thanks all for the welcome, yep I'm based up in the NE of Scotland in Aberdeen so no doubt I'll have to travel to get one at some point. Not in any real rush as it will be a weekend toy to take out if we get a good summer. Don't mind traveling for a car, always enjoy the drive home.

Welcome Andy , you should get a pretty good car for that sort of money and as said you will more than likely have to travel ...south. I got mine from a member on here and drove it back to Aberdeen from Hemel Hempstead over a couple of days and loved it. As for meets in the area don't think there are any although there are a few 7 type cars going around in fact I discovered another Westfield owner 3 streets away from where I live. I'll PM you my phone and e-mail ( away at work for the next 3.5 weeks) and your more than welcome to have a look etc . 

Another Westfield in the area is always a good thing, and if you get one before June 2014 there is a week end away to Applecross which is I believe a very good couple of days. :d  :d  

Come on you North Scotland mob, form yourself into an area and arrange meets. The best thing you can do as the shared knowledge and experience is priceless. The new found friends are a bonus.

• Like 1

Hi Andy from down south,   Your £8k. will buy you a Zetec, Vauxhall, MX5, Toyota 4age engined car so plenty of choice.   Not much around at the moment and the ones that are for sale will be a long long away from you so you will have to be really determined to go look and buy one.    Cars for sale on this forum is the best place to start,  there should be a few more for sale around March next year.  If you find a likely candidate on other car sales websites then post a link up on here, the chances are someone will know a bit about its history.

Andy, look at THIS Get in quick as it won't remain unsold for long.

Not that far from you either, Stranrear to Belfast. Couple of hours each way and job done.

OK, just checked. Make that 4 hours each way.

Better than the south coast though.