Carbs - how fuel tight / sealed are they?

Boombang

Been a long time since I played with carbs, sounds like an odd question perhaps but here goes:

Are they sealed or over time does fuel evaporate from the bowls?

Thanks for that, was pretty sure they had to have a vent to work.

The reasoning behind my question, apart from satisfying my curiosity, is I live in a town house - the garage is directly below my living room and has a standard interior ceiling.

If you put something stinky in the garage it seeps up into the living room.  Methinks a carbed car probably isn't the best purchase...

Didn't think of that...  When I stripped my last Saxo spares car at my parents you could smell the fuel in the house however - there garage is on the side with a door and a utility room between.

Make any difference if it has a sealed garage door (as airtight as an insulated section door gets) with a door into the hallway?

When I painted a few bits in there it absolutely stank in the living room, but guessing the paint solvent was lighter than air.

My car is in the double garage beneath my bedroom

No problems

My car is on carbs and used to stink the house out for an hour or two after a run. By chance I was checking something with the engine running and I spotted a leak when revving the engine. The pipe had split under the jubillee clip. Fixed the leak and no more smells.

Ahhh, but to me there's no better smell than opening up the garage to that aroma of fuel and oil in the morning (more so when I had the Pinto engine)

Smells like...victory! :laugh:  

• Like 1

Normal evaporation shouldn't cause a problem. If you smell petrol in the house check for leaks. Another option is to fit a switch to the pump and switch it off and let the engine empty the carbs,

I thought integral garages had to have highly rated for fire penetration ceilings at least. Half of my garage is under my sitting room but it has a Bison beam type of (concrete) ceiling.

I have an integral garage, after driving the car I let it sit on the drive for an hour then push it in the garage. No petrol fumes at all using this method.

I thought integral garages had to have highly rated for fire penetration ceilings at least. Half of my garage is under my sitting room but it has a Bison beam type of (concrete) ceiling.

Built in 1978 so might not be quite to the same standards as now.  Could always drop a smoke bomb in it and see if anything seeps through.

Great! Mines uphill...   :bangshead:

:d

Ditto, a nice steep one too!

My garage ceiling is fireproofed 

When you drive home, turn the fuel

Pump off about 200 yards from home , carbs will be virtually empty and no smell !