Twin Webers - are they crap in cold?

peet

Interesting thread. Looking to buy my first Westfield this week. Couple of Zetec 1800 cars I've see had twin Webers, one proved difficult to start (to be fair the car had not been run for some time) My question is " can you fit a choke cable kit to Webers" ?

Hope to look at a fuel injected car this week, which I understand does not supper the stating problems of Weber's.

My question is " can you fit a choke cable kit to Webers" ?

Yes, you can - mine has it - but it never gets used, as it's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.  Good for about 30 seconds of running, then floods and kills the engine before you can shut the choke.  You're much better off finding the knack of cold starting with a few pumps and waiting 60 seconds until the idle settles - don't bother fitting one.

Interesting thread. Looking to buy my first Westfield this week. Couple of Zetec 1800 cars I've see had twin Webers, one proved difficult to start (to be fair the car had not been run for some time) My question is " can you fit a choke cable kit to Webers" ?

Hope to look at a fuel injected car this week, which I understand does not supper the stating problems of Weber's.

As has been said, don't be put off a Westy because of carbs. I have twin 45s on my Pinto, it frequently stands for weeks.. months even, and after a few prods on the throttle peddle.. even with a low battery... starts first kick. Terrrrr.... rrrrrrrr........braaaaapppp!  I love em! :laugh:

I've had many cars with twin or triple Webers and always use the 3 pump method to start them, even when they do have a working cold start cable.

Since I pump twice and start on 3rd it's been first time every time since -well except for a dodgy coil connection I found now!

Congratulations on your new found starting regime :yes:

Sat here at work drove the tintop in wishing I'd used the Westy shame I still haven't fixed the gearbox linkage and waiting for my new seats. Would have driven in otherwise -no summer only use for me!!

You've just got to grab your days when you can if you want to make the most of the car. We've had plenty of nice days over the last few winters - I've usually manage 1-2000 miles over winter for a few years now. Admittedly, you do have to make allowances for the cold as far as tyres and clothing goes, but that's no biggie. Then again, you have the "winter supercharging" effect that your engine breathing in nice cool crisp winter air brings. :yes:

(If you've not come across it before, ACF50 as beloved of our two wheeled brethren, is great for protecting exposed metal work from the worst of the winter roads. - Much better than WD40)

Would not advise spraying yourself with ACF50 to stay dry, use waterproofs from the WSCC merchandise store instead.  :yes: 

When I was younger and knew I was going to be outside in the wet all day a trick was to spray yourself with scotchguard, We found this out by accident when a friend spraying some clothing got the nozzle the wrong way and accidentally sprayed someone, being young the scotchguard fight started and we then found out we were temporarily water-resistant for the rest of the day.

Wouldn't recommend it now as i have no idea what damage we did to our lungs etc. but it does work!

Still like the idea of a waterproof suit ala westfield shop. (need to suggest it to someone)

Paul