If you could live with the MPG

Cleggy the Spyder Man

MPG I could handle, but it looks like a big fat bora... That's the worst thing about it!

In a previous career I recall testing one of those and being rather unimpressed. Its a lot of car for the money now, but there are any number of AMG mercs that would crush it in every respect for the same sort of money though.

Ben

for me it's total blandness is part of the appeal :t-up:

Im with you Cleggy, I would have brought one if we didn't have dogs.  

A lot of car and toys for the money

Stick a TDI badge on it and you could have even more fun.  Might even help with the mpg.

MPG is something that has really evolved in 10 years - unfortunately fuel prices haven't. I've had big / fast motors the last 10 years. My latest an S8 with 520 hp and I get regular average of 28+MPG.

I like boring looking - I always have de-badged grey don't stand out cars. Keeps them guessing till you boot it.

Its the old case that if you cant afford the costs of running a new one, then you sure cant afford the costs of running an older one.

I believe that very car sold from a chap in wiltshire last month for abut 7k…. i looked at it long and hard as being a fantastic gin palace for nipping down to Ascot….. 

I really like the Phaeton for exactly the same reason: would be nice to have something fast and comfortable that flies under the radar.  And a VW is never going to get clients' backs up like an AMG of similar value might.

Out of interest Adrian, how have you found the S8?  I keep looking at them in the classifieds before wondering if the 4.2TDi might be a more sensible, but quick enough in the real world, option... albeit lacking the glorious S8 howl.

I spend a lot of time in the car, I work silly hours so my car is my mega treat. All my staff get Audi A4s or allowance. I change the car at 3 years and the retention value seems to be very good in the S / RS cars. The TDIs are the sensible options - hence why the staff get them. Some of the guys get 45+ in an avant.

You can get the audi models de-badged and make them Q cars. My last car -  RS 6 had nothing on the outside, except the callipers  marked (which doesn't show when there covered in brake dust. Those that know their cars know what it is because of the widened arches etc, but even Blatman once believed me when I said it was a diesel :) - at least till I pressed the loud button.

The S8 if its your kinda thing is an amazing piece of technology. Goes like stink 5 up and now with comparably decent MPG.

That's interesting - can you go as far when it comes to debadging an S8 (i.e. debadge the grille and lose the alloy mirror casings on them)?

I quite like the Phaeton. It certainly has underpinnings you pay a lot more for with a different badge. I quite like the an anonymity of it too. I'm pretty much done with daily drivers that are uncomfortable or require lots of effort to drive. My current car being an old 6 cylinder BMW with an even more ancient 5 speed auto box means that 'thirsty' stuff a generation or two newer give similar fuel economy. A W12 Phaeton may be pushing it though.