O/T (but this is S & N): New TV, well chuffed

Captain Colonial

Long story short here - relative now in hospice care, so he needed telly for his room.  Had old 21" CRT with Freeview box in kitchen that would suffice, so took him that, but needed replacement.  Decided to move flat screen from bedroom and order new bedroom TV.

Did the research and found a Which? Best Buy Sony 22" with Freeview HD tuner, Internet connectivity, apps, blah blah blah.  Looked good, but normal price - an eye-watering £380 - errr, no thanks.  Bit more research, down to £320, still too dear.  Then changed the search for it so the outside case colour went from black to white (better colour for the bedroom anyway)... £199 delivered!  So £120 cheaper for the exact same TV, just because it was white instead of black - ridiculous.

Shows it pays to shop around and keep an open mind. :t-up:

I made a similar saving yesterday but on a motorcycle helmet...

Nexx Carbon XR1R, usually £300 and I was intending to leave getting it for a month but while wondering what to do over lunchtime at work I did a quick scan of eBay and for some reason decided to put Nexx Carbon into the search line and found the dealer who I'd have ordered it from anyway was running an end of season sale with 38% off a small number of each colour/size so got it for £184.95 - bought at 1:30 yesterday, delivered to work at 8:55 this morning :t-up:

Two years ago I went into a curry's in Sheffield. They had a panasonic upright vacuum cleaner for lunch£195. (I think it was that price). Next to it was another Panasonic but £60 cheaper. I spent 5 minutes trying to work out what the difference was. Gave up and called a man over. He explained there was no difference, except the cheaper one was wine coloured.

I bought the wine coloured item.

Two years ago I went into a curry's in Sheffield. They had a panasonic upright vacuum cleaner for lunch£195. (I think it was that price). Next to it was another Panasonic but £60 cheaper. I spent 5 minutes trying to work out what the difference was. Gave up and called a man over. He explained there was no difference, except the cheaper one was wine coloured.

I had the wine flavoured one.

That was a dear lunch Norm, £135, never eaten a Panasonic Upright before, any good ?

• Like 1

Not to bad, but not curried very well.

Not to bad, but not curried very well.

Would have been better if it sucked.

You can bet the colour thing would have been a unique model supplied only to Curries , its a way around the price match scam , only Curries sell that model so you have no chance of finding one cheaper elsewhere , and other retailers cant complain to Panasonic about rpm because they don't and can't stock it ! 

I said similar to HM last night. I said the wine coloured one was probably at the right price and the other had the price increased.

There's no RPM any more, is there?

I said similar to HM last night. I said the wine coloured one was probably at the right price and the other had the price increased.

There's no RPM any more, is there?

I believe its nowadays  called RRP (recommended retail price) or suggested retail price ,all amounts to the same thing , it s a minimum retail selling price "suggested "  by the manufacturer, the idea being that all retailers can make a profit and is supposed to stop them undercutting each other .

Bernie, the difference is that RPM meant that the price was fixed to what the retailer set it at, with RRP the retailer can set the price to whatever they want and use the RRP to show any discount.

We never had this constant time consuming problem with Retail Price Maintenance, we would not have all our major suppliers reduced to a miserable handful suggesting " they are the cheapest, whilst struggling to make a £1 million a day profit. I have no sympathy for the Power firms and tend to believe their representative in the House of Commons quoted their profits of 5% as being extremely low. The grocery trade made around 5% before the big 4 moved in, now they are making 40% plus and there is no longer any serious competition. 

Bought a watch for an employee last year, 40 years service. Two weeks ago another employee had done 40 years so thought it best to get same watch it was now £288 more. Quick search and found same watch at the old price at another company, email to first company and they reduced the price by £288 to £450. Just shows best to shop around.

That's my point, everything is doubled in price to produce these huge discounts, bedding firms sell beds with 50% discount then special offer extra 25% and 4 years free credit. Strangely none of the manufactures will disclose their factory gate price they would be to embarrassed .

To reinforce that just reading the local rag , looking at sofa's full page spread advertising 2+3 seater sofa's  

RRP  £ 2750 special offer price £750  :o

How Do they do it  :oops: