Garage Improvements & Ideas.

Paulm3

spraying the walls, great idea! I've got a fence sprayer I could use. don't want immaculate finish.

I've got some shelving running along already with hooks on for cloths etc, but could add to that (Currently full of cleaning products)

I'd like to kit out my work bench with stuff, and maybe get a mig welder for the odd jobs

I've already got a stereo linked to my airplay to can channel stuff from my ipod/iphone/ internet radio.

Trying to insulate it a bit more and stop the drafts I think will help immensely, could always get a heater for in there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very helpful.

Its all about trying to make best use of the space isn't it!

Anyone got any solutions for storing mountain bikes I've got 5 to hide and all the ceiling is used up so I can't hang them up there

I've got mine hung up on the wall, but it still eats into space and that's just with 3 of them.

If your painting the floor paint the first course of wall blocks too

Then when you spill your oil or coolant and mop the floor you dont get dirty mop marks all over the wall

carpet for the floor... or at least a massive chunk that you can move about... sounds daft but makes sitting/nealing on the floor much more bearable.... i used the boot carpet from a sierra and those 50x50 cm carpet tiles

if you cant afford a teng box the hafords professional range is good.(and it fits 4 teng tc trays in .. sorry james they were a bit too much for me and i argued halfords into giving me the 4 draw middle box for £60)

Some random observations:

• You can never have too many electrical sockets
  • The same applies to work-surfaces - most kitchen fitting companies have offcuts/damaged kitchen worktops and they are also a good supply of old cupboards/drawers
  • Carpet the floor - ask a local carpet firm for a ‘removal’: they have to take up old carpets to fit new ones and usually have to pay the local council to dispose of them
  • Machine Mart do a range of magnetic strips to hold tools on, much easier to use these than filling up drawers IME
  • Illuminated magnifier on an anglepoise arrangement - worth every penny
  • An old electric kettle - not just for drinks but a handy supply of hot/warm water has a variety of uses
  • A cheap camera - the pics are invaluable when stripping/disassembling for future reference!
  • Clear plastic boxes, saves a lot of time when looking for items

R

Anyone got any solutions for storing mountain bikes I've got 5 to hide and all the ceiling is used up so I can't hang them up there

The only practical solution, if you have space, is a shed... need a completely separate space for them to avoid risk of damage being caused by people moving them in/out.

Wickes is also good for kitchen cabinets (often discount around bank holidays too).

Just cleared out my garage too. Amazing and worrying how many loose bolts and washers I found on the floor. I have an off cut carpet... much nicer when crawling under the car and the other half can't complain about dust on the settee! It was the subject of tools that made me think that the BEST tool I have is my telescopic magnet with a torch in the end - for all those ###### bolts that I drop down the side of the engine and which lodge in the chassis frame or on the floor under the middle of the car! From Halfords for a couple of quid! (Can't actually remember how much but worth its weight in gold!)

I use interlocking foam mats on the floor

The kind you put down in kiddies play areas

Someone was throwing them because they were tatty

About 18" sq

Comfy,warm and water proof and i just lay as many as i need when i need them

Use both sides of shelves.  I've got a load of small plastic screw top containers with the lids screwed to the underside of the shelves.  Fill the containers with your bits and bobs and then screw the containers into the lids. You can do the same with glass jars.

i just thought - get a fire extinguisher mate  - best investment ever should you need it....

Yep - some kitchen unit carcasses for not so heavy stuff - these were B & Q about £30 each if I remember.

And some high level storage for less frequently used and heavier stuff (as long as you are not going to injure yourself getting it up there!)

This stuff is the full length of my garage and uses decking timber and high load brackets (80 to 120 Kg per bracket depending on size) .

Worth noting that these high load brackets are £10 each from B&Q but 10 for £26 from Screwfix..

Shelving

I know you're prob not storing wheels - for anyone that is these are on table legs from B&Q  - not perfect but quite neat and well out of the way.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for floor tiles? The sort that simply interlock and don't have to be glued to the floor. My garage is remote from the house with no power / light / heat and I fear carpet would get too damp. The concrete dust is doing my head in and with my car soon to return in black it's going to REALLY do my head in!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for floor tiles? The sort that simply interlock and don't have to be glued to the floor. My garage is remote from the house with no power / light / heat and I fear carpet would get too damp. The concrete dust is doing my head in and with my car soon to return in black it's going to REALLY do my head in!

I've been looking at these for mine :)http://mototile.com